Copy will not match to original

Hello All,
I have made a copy of one image and tried to put it adjacent to the back and it only matches so far up. I am attaching the file for your review and comments.

Tia,
cvbsEXAMPLE.skp (82.6 KB)

The front and back faces of your object are not the same shape. They cannot match up sitting next to each other. You need make the shape so that the front and back are the same shape. Or perhaps I misunderstand?

Thank you endlessfix.
I appreciate the quick and excellent video to show how you corrected my error. will you please tell me what I should be looking for to make sure I keep faces the same. On each of the angle changes I was drawing a line and separating the face and push off the difference. I then just pulled that end face to desired length and continued accordingly. Any idea where I might have made my mistake?
Again, appreciate the help.
Cvbs

1 Like

If you want to be able to nest the components together, try this:
Screenshot - 4_10_2021 , 8_35_49 AM

From left to right.

Draw the edges for one side. (I drew them on a rectangle to make sure they stayed in plane and then deleted the rectangle when finished.)

Select the edges and use Move/Copy to move them over to the desired thickness.

Use the Line tool to connect the edges and the top and bottom and create a face.

Extrude the face with Push/Pull, select it all and make a component. Then use Move/Copy to make a second one.

Make as many copies as you want and they’ll all fit together.

Glad to help. I’m not sure I understand the narrative of your process exactly. But it sounds like you might have used push pull on each of the angled faces? Push pull works at 90 degrees from any face you apply it to which would explain the error you are seeing. Making the back face surfaces at right angles to each front face surface actually makes a different shape. Notice how the back face edge derived from the front is at the same angle but often a different length. This is compounded as you move up the shape.

What you want is to derive the back face from the front face by moving not at right angles to any given face but always at the same global direction, in this case along the red axis. This yields the same shape for the front and back.

Both my gif and Dave’s explanation are outlining the same process of making all the front face edges first, then copy/moving them collectively along the red axis to build the shape. This insures that the back edges match the front as they are copies.

1 Like

You are correct as to what I was doing. I did not realize the “90” aspect of push pull and with your explanation of what occurred I can see how the faces would then differ.

A Thanks to you and Dave for suggesting and demonstrating a better way for me to obtain the desired results!

I think I can speak for all of us here It is great to have people with your expertise in our back pockets for help! :+1::clap:

1 Like