I’m looking for a tutorial on how to make components (windows, doors) cut openings in thick walls. I’ve gone through Csaba Pozsarko’s tutorials on this several times but don’t understand parts of them. I know this is very basic but I’m missing something fundamental. If there’s a simpler tutorial out there, can someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks.
Here are some suggestions. A component can only cut an opening in a single face, so for two faces, as in a thick wall, you will have to use a workaround.
A nice tutorial from Csaba (Gaieus) about the topic “Window to Cut Hole on Thick Wall”…
I could be missing something because I’ve come back to SketchUp (2017) after a few years away but a component now appears to cut two faces (i.e. a thick wall) not matter what the thickness.
It could be new to 2017 but when I do the following it works every time:
- create a rectangle
- remove the face
- select the four remaining lines
- right click ‘Create Component’
- ensure ‘Cut opening’ is checked
- click ‘Set Component Axes’
- set origin of the red/green axis in the bottom left corner
- set red to horizontal and green to vertical
- click ‘create’ then place it on a face of any thickness
Could you attach a model that shows this behavior please.