Component Abnormalities

Continuing the discussion from Group VS component:

Hi thomas,
I always had this issue, just wanted to mention when I got a chance to. :smiley:

I find the component Name and Definition in the Entity Info a bit confusing.

The component Name Component#1 is give to definition in the Entity info.

This drives all newbies mad when creating components.

there is Name, Description, Definition categories to fill, which are later mix-matched.

I know it makes a huge difference in coding and programming, but to the non-coded minds, definition almost sounds like some sort of ā€œdescriptionā€. Therefore, a newbie would be giving components unique names, and get confused of unexpected results in Outliner.

I know Description is used in Model Info later on, but Name and Definition should have some clear transition.

I am failing to explain this concept well to other people who are introduced to the program, Can someone explain this concept better?

I donā€™t think someone else could. Itā€™s just plain wrong to have someone fill in a name when creating a component which from there on (see ā€˜Entity Infoā€™ will be called definition and all of a sudden there is an option to give the instance a name.
The first option to name a component should be an option to give it a definition-(name), not a name.

Multiple instances of the same component each can have their own ā€œuniqueā€ name to be able to distinguish which is which although they look the same and have the same definition. That is good.

2 Likes

I agree with this.
and perhaps Name in Entity Info replaced by Description (which you can edit)

I can think of use of this in some unique circumstances. Perhaps this creates a bit too much confusion to new people. Maybe it can be included in the expanded version of entity info.

I see what you mean, ā€œNameā€ the first dialog refer to the Definition Name - while in another ā€œNameā€ refer to the Instance Name.
I do experience that explaining the concept of definitions is harder, because they are abstractions of what you see in the model.

1 Like

Yeah, ā€œnameā€ was probably a bad name for ā€œnameā€ :joy:

2 Likes

I agree with the ā€œNameā€ field when you initially create it: that field should be titled Definition

I also donā€™t know what hte type drop-down field is for: is it a DC thing?

The other thing I would like to see is the options from the edit tab of the components window shown on the entity info panel. (specifically the Alignment {glue} checks and/or an option to re-set or change the glue-to plane)

I think more people would understand the use of ā€˜Parent Nameā€™ over ā€˜Definition Nameā€™ā€¦

Definition is what the entity info panel calls it.

kinda strange how this was never pointed outā€¦

Yes please fix this (oldie) confusion

1 Like

ā€œParentā€ is unfortunately already in use in dynamic component formulas.

Anssi

1 Like

to be honest I think the simplest solution would be for the name to ā€˜bubbleā€™ by defaultā€¦

you fill in ā€˜Nameā€™ and it is used both ā€˜Namesā€™, until you subsequently change one or the otherā€¦

john

1 Like

[quote=ā€œjosephkim626, post:9, topic:15682, full:trueā€]
kinda strange how this was never pointed outā€¦
[/quote] Well, it has been mentioned by me (years ago) more than once and Iā€™m sure also by others.

Definition would be a better choice when creating a component.
Later each instance gets a name and you can add some words to describe the component.

As it is now it is confusing.

1 Like

May I suggest/concurā€¦

Component-Name

Instance-Name

Consistent across all dialogs.
A ā€˜no-brainerā€™ā€¦

4 Likes