Complicated Ceilings

Hello! Can you help me doing this part of the ceiling? (The encircled part) :joy:

I find it very hard to make the curves especially the curved moldings. :confused:
By the way I’m only 16 years old and I still don’t understand these things
Thanks for helping! :laughing:

Hello Neozep. Would you mind showing us what you have so far? Sometimes the solution is a lot simpler than it looks.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

Ok, so I finally figured it out, but how do you make it curvy, not flat?

Same way as you got the “tubes” to cut through the ceiling face; it doesn’t have to just be tubes - the rose could be pulled down and intersected with the curved ceiling plane. (You can then move that bit up to recess it if required or form a few off-sets of the ceiling at higher levels and intersect with them.)

If you upload the skp of what you have so far it would help with the explanation.

1 Like

KOROHAN.skp (446.7 KB)
Here is the .skp file :smiley:
The ceiling part is the layer0
Thanks for Helping!

And also how do you put some moldings on the curve? I cant use follow me to do it. Any tips how to do it?

(The red line)

I’m unable to look at your model as i’m on a phone, but From your comment I think you need to look at how layers work.
Layers are only for visibility, groups and components separate geometry.
If you have assigned raw geometry to layers other than Layer0 then you will have problems.

Oh, I use layers by grouping them. Like walls, ceiling, floors. Is it wrong? LOL i really dont know how to use SketchUp.
I learned how to use sketchup by doing trial and error XD

SketchUp’s layers are visibility flags that can be shared by multiple entities. That is, those entities refer to a layer and SketchUp checks that layer’s value when deciding whether to display the entities. But layers do not isolate or group entities in any way beyond shared visibility. Entities that refer to different layers still interact as if they reference the same layer.

The main issue with referring entities to layers other than layer0 is that very confusing visibility anomalies can result. You may think you are showing “all of a layer” (wrong thinking based on belief that SketchUp layers group entities) and find that items are missing or only partially displayed. The expert advice is that all edges and faces should always refer to layer0, and you should think about what you are doing before referring entities nested inside a group or component to layers other than layer0. To preserve your sanity, only groups, components and some non-geometry entities such as dimensions, text, and images should refer to layers other than layer0.

I do it like this…

A couple of issues with the model:

• using layers to turn on/off visibility is OK, however the geometry is better in groups so that things only join and attach when you want them to.
  • I think that the original architects would have tried to be symmetrical and have a bit more consistency/geometric balance in the design
  • components could help you out by being able to repeat the same thing without having to draw it again. (and the mirror will always mirror any changes.

To get the molding following a path on the ceiling shape, the theory is the same; no matter the curve - draw a path and use “follow me”. For a decorative molding (rather than a plane sphere) you would draw it on the flat then use a shape bender plugin to form it to the curve of the ceiling.

KOROHAN.skp (1.4 MB)

WOW THIS IS SO AMAZING! THANKS SO MUCH!!! :smile:
I’m still learning this software and thanks for the info!!! Btw, what is the shape bender? :laughing:
Sorry for asking a lot of questions. :smiley: I’m sixteen years old and I’m still learning :smiley: :smiley: :smile:

Have a look at the free Flowify plugin. I think it might be another approach that could work. There are some nice Youtube videos of Flowify to get an idea.

@Neozep

@maxB beat me to it. Flowify could really work well for this.

Here is a really good tutorial on how to use Flowify:

Have fun!

CD

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!
you’re the best people around here!

I have another problem. how do you make the ceiling rose also curved if the other arc is larger than the other?

Here’s the file :smiley:
New Choir Loft.skp (788.5 KB)

Perhaps the Drape tool (in Sandbox tools) could be used here.

Anssi