Coloring the faces of styled objects without affecting the edges (and vice versa)?

Kitchen-SLT-11a.skp (3.1 MB)

This is driving me nuts. I have some boxes styled, and just want to change the color of the faces, but I want to leave the edges alone. I’m being careful to select each individual face, but when I apply the new color, the edge is affected.

What am I missing here? Attaching source file.

Style >> Edges >> All Same…

john

1 Like

Thanks for the lighting fast response John!

Ah, yes but I wanted to have different edge colors for different boxes as well, and apparently this is done via the “by material” selection.

Basically I want to have the different boxes have different face colors, and different edge colors. But I don’t necessarily want the edge colors to follow the material.

Am I asking for an impossible thing or is this doable?

If you are painting the faces and not group or component containers you can paint the faces without painting the edges. In fact you can paint each face on the box a different color if you want.

1 Like

To illustrate further - I’d like to have the edges of the refrigerator (the tall dark grey box) be a different color (not green), say red. It’s got to be possible right? I just can’t figure out the procedure.

As @DaveR said You need to open the group so you are painting the faces and edges, not the whole group.
EdgesColor

1 Like

Thanks so much @Box and @DaveR… So I just did what you showed (before I was double-clicking to enter within the group), and for some reason when I’m using the Bucket tool and I click on the edge, nothing happens. I zoom in even closer and still nothing. The color doesn’t change as it did for you. Could it be some display setting?

Have you tried preselecting the edges, then applying the Bucket/paint tool? I just wonder if that might work?

1 Like

if you want edges coloured independently, you need to set the style to ‘by material’ and the you can use ‘wire frame’ view to colour only the edges…

john

1 Like

Thanks @john_mcclenahan - Just tried it, and it didn’t work, but in the process of doing it I noticed something key - apparently the edge color was applied, but it’s not showing up in the rendering:

How strange! I’m a newbie with Sketchup (obviously) and I have no idea where to look but I’m guessing it’s some sort of display setting somewhere?

At least the mystery is clearing up…

I’ve just tried applying a colour to selected edges in SU 2019. Like you, I find the colour doesn’t display.

I find I need to go to Window/Styles/Edit and change Edge style from “All same” to “By material”.

Try that, as john_drivenupthewall suggest in the post above your latest one as I write.

1 Like

Thanks everybody. So in the end, it turns out the issue when “by material” was selected and I wasn’t able to change the edge color, was because I wasn’t precise enough with my mouse cursor, and kept hitting the faces. When changing the edge behavior to “all the same” I was easily able to change the color, but wasn’t able to override it of course.

Is there an easier way to recolor all the edges of an object, without having to do it one edge at a time which is a real PITA, and also without having to be zoomed in far enough to prevent accidentally coloring the faces?

as I said, wireframe…

john

2 Likes

@john_drivenupthewall Oh wow - very nice. I didn’t realize it was an actual function… I thought you were describing the look of the object in general.

Thanks that’s a great effort and time-saving tip!

:+1:

It’s worth noting the Paint Bucket tool applies the material where the circle is.

1 Like

After reading this thread and working with my model it is possible to set the edge color independently, but is clumsy. Each tag can have the face material set, when you have that tag set as default a face will be made in that material, but not the edges. Sketchup should add this as a capability.