Collada .DAE and Google Earth .KMZ exporting only one empty texture DDS file

Hi all!

I’m having some trouble exporting DAE and KMZ files where Sketchup only exports a single texture file out of all the materials that are used.

Here is the model:

stadium.skp (2.1 MB)

And here is my export options screen:

export_options

As you can clearly see, I’ve checked “Export texture maps” in there.

But as shown here, only one DDS file is exported, and it is completely empty (zero bytes):

I’m using Sketchup Make 2017 on Windows 10 Pro (64-bit).

What is going on here? Any kind of help is much appreciated. Thanks!

stadium.zip (322.4 KB)
It seems to be a bug in filename handling of the Collada exporter. I was able to manually export the texture image (right-click → Export texture image) and then edit the .dae file to bend the filepaths to point to the exported images.

The creator of the SketchUp model imported jpg images that were ending with “.dds” without an appended “.jpg” extension. This is perfectly legitimate considering that file extensions form a part of the file name and are purely a convention, the actual file type is uniquely specified by either mime-type in the file header or magic bytes. Unfortunately a lot of softwares (especially on Windows) rely only on the ending of a filename and try to infer the file type from it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.