Cleanup Report when model has lots of unique components?

In my model I had to “make unique” many components (often 2x4 and 2x6’s because they needed to be cut to fit). The components are all set for size and price.

I was hoping to use the report to generate a list of materials needed but now (understandably) it comes out with lots of #1, #2, etc. and it’s a nightmare to read (and those items don’t sum with the count or prices).

Is there a better way to deal with uniques or components to make this all more usable? I am a relative newbie to sketchup. routerlogin 192.168.l.l

Depending on the rest of the organisation in your model you can use the ‘group by’ option in generate report.
This can be done by dragging the attribute to the top section.
If you have used tags for instance for 2’’4’’ and 2’’6’’ drag the tag attribute in the ‘group by’ section.

Or use the length attribute, but this depends on how you have created the components. If you used the ground plane (Red Green) to draw the profile (2x4) the blue or Z would be the attribute to ‘group by’ .
Can you share with he model?

With simple geometry, I tend to use the scaling tool for this. No need to ‘make unique’.

Another way, that I used recently, is to assign different materials to 2x4, 2x6, ply, hardboard etc, then use Generate Report, and Group By Level, Material, Entity Name, Definition Name, then report LenX, LenY, LenZ and Quantity.

The Group by Level shows subassemblies first, at level 2, and their individual pieces of wood at level 2 or 3, depending on whether they are components ‘loose’ in the model, or part of a subassembly frame.

I exported the Generate Report output (a .csv file) then cut and pasted it into a spreadsheet, added extra lines and columns to calculate subtotals and costs.

Entity name in my case was the Component Instance name added manually for different parts with the same component definition, but in different parts of the model, and Component Definition names were mostly automatically generated by the Wood Framing plugin (from SketchUcation Plugin Store) which I helped Steve Baumgartner design and he largely implemented. That was used to create the 2x1 frames for several ‘dummy’ kitchen cabinets for one of our next amateur theatre set productions - David Hare’s Skylight.

Here’s one of the cabinet models, and the corresponding part of the spreadsheet.

Skylight - Cooker cabinet detail.skp (871.8 KB)

You need to remove the inch (double quote) mark either with a text editor in the .csv file, or in the spreadsheet, and use a decimal length output format (not Fractional) in the Generate Report setup, so it can recognise the dimensions as numbers, not text.