Clarification on field of view

HI jimhami42, I used your method of resetting the FOV for all scenes. I then established a front view and reset the camera for all my front views, then the top and side views. Thanks.

I hope you have it all sorted out now … once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to achieve what you need. Fixing things after the fact is sometimes a lot more effort than it would seem to warrant.

Yes thanks, it is all sorted out. Knowing how to set things up is most of the battle. I was somewhat mystified at the beginning, old dog and new tricks.

1 Like

Is there a download link somewhere for this plugin?

Thank you!

if you mean this one, then no, it’s just one of my private experiments…

if you were on a mac, then I would share it, but it may break SU on a PC…

if I can get one of the PC SU ruby developers to confirm it’s ok, then I may share it more widely…

maybe @jimhami42 will offer to have a look…

john

What I’m really trying to unlock is the secrets of 2 point perspective in sketchup and translate that into 3D Studio Max. Even if I match the FOV and resolution, the two still do not match.

you probably need to match the view port ratio’s as well, I know that’s an issue with KeyShot…

it’e relatively easy to get from ruby for SU, but you also need to get the target ratio and apply the correction factors…

so only use mac’s not max…

john

Note that FOV in SketchUp is measured vertically across the viewport. I don’t know about 3DS Max, but, for instance, in photography FOV is usually measured diagonally, denoting the diameter of the usable FOV of the lens used.

The 2-point perspective view and the PhotoMatch views are both special “2D views”, and I don’t know if the FOV rules apply to them quite identically to standard 3D camera views,

Anssi

Max will let you measure FOV vertically, diagonally, or horizontally and I have been matching that exactly using the vertical option. I have also been matching the view port ratio and matching the same Pixel Output (since this changes based on your screen). Target ratios come in straight from Sketchup and translate into a Max camera on direct import.

This works great for Perspective views and everything aligns (same size, same ratio, same everything), but there’s some weird thing not matching when you try to do the same workflow with 2-point perspective images.

The great thing is that we had a breakthrough this week using the advanced camera tools in Sketchup and using those numbers it spits out. Instead of aligning the FOV variable in Max, you actually change the Camera Lens variable (mm) and things aligned then. The weird thing is that sketchup is still “enlarged” but everything matches when you scale either image to each other. Would be great if they would just overlap perfectly, but this is working so far.

I’ll post additional information if I find anything else. Thanks for the replies!