Changing grid angles

If you look at my last screen shot, you can see that the outside border of the texture image is only half the width of the other lines. That’s so when the texture repeats, those verticals and horizontals will be the same width.

what I did was copy the texture I found on the empytnet, and crop it. Because the file size was small it was difficult to crop it accurately enough because it pixilated when I enlarged it. Is there a way to make the image less pixilated?

This is the image I used:

Gwi%20design

I’d be inclined to use that as a reference and draw my own to use as above.

You mean import it and trace it? On some of those patterns it could be difficult:wrought-iron-fence-

There are ways of dealing with that image, but you have not asked that question.
Be clear on what you need and we can be clear on our answers.

Ok. How would you use this as a reference or trace something this complex? G

I didn’t trace the first pattern you shared because it’s easier to lay it out correctly for a seamless texture without tracing it. I did import the image as an image so I could see it for reference without having to look at my other monitor.

Then I exported a PNG with a transparent background and opened it in PaintDOTNet.

Magic wand to select the transparent region outside the border of the pattern.

Edit>Invert Selection.

Image>Crop to Selection.

Then Save the image.

Import into SketchUp as a texture.

For your second one with the curves and leaves, I might trace it. If you could find a high res image of it, you could use TIG’s image trimmer to convert a PNG with transparency into geometry or create a BMP image and use Spirix BMP Tracer to get the geometry.

Really nicely done @DaveR.

.but the design is so simple it only takes a few edges and a bit of array and flipping it to create the geometry.

Thank you. And of course I did only draw a little bit of the geometry, array and flip as needed to get the rest.

If one wanted to use geometry instead of a texture for this sort of thing, that could save a few steps but might bypass some of the benefits of using a texture.

Absolutely, but if you don’t understand the underlying geometry the textures are irrelevant.

1 Like

I might seem a nitpicker…

@DaveR: Very nice indeed, however, the cropping is still prone to error, resulting in a seam, wouldn’t you agree?

And miss something::smiley:

Trivial enough to change.

I’ll leave it in your capable hands going forward.

Indeed! How about we understand the basics.

1 Like