Can't round a bad corner

I am failing to round a few corners. I can do the two outside ones, in 3 directions, but when it comes to inside, it is a fail. What is a good workaround for issues like these? Ideally, .1875" would be best, or thereabouts.

backplate.skp (1.2 MB)

Scale the model up first. Or use The Dave Method.

I did scale it up, but it has issues anyway. What is the Dave Method?

How much did you scale up?

Do a search. Click on the magnifying glass icon to search for the Dave Method. Box did a nice tutorial.

I scale it to 1000 and try to perform the rounded corners. The problem happens when the back wall runs into the sides. For some reason it doesnt want to blend because of the slight radius.

Frustrated, I started clicking all around the corners and found that when I did it closer, it made a slight difference. After a bunch of trial and error, I was able to perform what I wanted. Sorry for bothering you… I wonder if there is a video on some of the subtle changes that make a difference in a model like this.

It may not make a difference, but the newer “FredoCorner” resolves junctions better than the older “roundcorner” plugin which you are using.

1 Like

One thing that often helps is to change the radius of some of the corners. For example in your model I made the radius along the top curved edge 0.1875 in. and the other radii 0.1600 in. The difference if minimal but allows Round Corner and Fredo Corner to work correctly. Of course this was done with a copy of the component scaled up by a factor of 1000.