Can't move Component window in wall and cut through, what did I do wrong?

I have made 4 component Windows which I have grouped.
Then I have put the Group on the wall to push it through.
This does not work. What do I do wrong? How should I do it?
I have installed Double-cut to help me, but i can’t do it.

I ungroup the components and try the components individually push through walls, it doesn’t work.

I’m new to Sketchup, have read and viewed a lot of tutorials about components and groups.
I have checked the box Cut and stick to Any.
I have reset the axis according to the model.
But it still behaves strange…

Can somebody help me out?

In the end, I want to design a window with the Window tool in Sketchup (extension of author Sketchup). Then I want to place it on a wall and push it through. Is that decently possible?
If you would advise me something differently, I’m open for thoughts.

Please see my youtube video where you can see it goes wrong:
link youtube

Kind regards!

It would help if you share the SketchUp model file with us so we can see exactly what you’ve got set up and what you are trying to do.

What version of SketchUp are you actually using? Your profile shows SketchUp 2021 Make but there is no such version.

Hi Dave,

Thanks, here is my model
210418 Model House.skp (1.5 MB)

I use Sketchup Pro 2021 v21.0.391
It says in About.

The majority of the faces in your model aren’t oriented correctly. There should be no exposed blue back faces. With the reversed faces windows end up on the wrong side like the ones on the inside of the end wall.

The window components that are used in the model space haven’t got hole-cutting properties set.

the first thing I would do is fix the model so it’s all front faces out. Then use components that are set up to cut openings. It might be easier if you just create the openings by drawing rectangles on the walls and pushing them through to the opposite side as you’ve already done in a few places.

Please correct your profile as that information helps us help you.

1 Like

Thanks for your analysis and your advice!

The majority of the faces in your model aren’t oriented correctly. There should be no exposed blue back faces. With the reversed faces windows end up on the wrong side like the ones on the inside of the end wall.

I’m not quite sure if I understand it properly, i will try below.
Indeed, I have reversed the faces to White where the windows and doors are going to come.
Is this wrong behavior that get’s me into trouble?

the first thing I would do is fix the model so it’s all front faces out.

Check, I’m gonna reverse the faces, wall = white, window = blue.

Then use components that are set up to cut openings.

I use the extension ‘Window builder’, I believe I set these up to Cut openings, do you have an idea what i can do wrong (i’ll try again when faces are corrected).
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=71459

Can I group Components and then still push these through wall if i make it a new component?

Please correct your profile as that information helps us help you.

Check, just did.

Hi Dave,
Still I have this problem with my component, can I fix it? Or should I rebuild it?
See picture below, I have the Axis correctly lined up with the model, but still it moves strange on the wall face.

There should be no visible blue back faces in your 3D model. You should correct them all. The walls shouldn’t be divided into short sections as you have them, either. The exposed back faces and the divided surfaces will cause you trouble later. Best to clean these things up early.

No! Don’t do that. Again, no exposed reversed faces.

Not with a group. Use a component for that. Groups can’t be given gluing properties nor hole cutting capability.

The picture doesn’t provide enough information but it looks like you don’t actually have the axes lined up correctly. In a component that has been set up properly, the component’s axes will have the red and green axes aligned to the frame and the blue pointing out away from the wall. Example: Here I have created a window with the Window Builder extension you referred to. When I set it up I gave it gluing and hole-cutting. Note the model axes are displayed in their normal default location.

With the component open for editing you can see the component’s axis orientation. Note its green axis points up and blue out. The large blue X is a clue that the window will glue to a surface. The window will insert so its red and green axes are on the face of the wall.

In your screen shot it appears that you have the component’s axes aligned incorrectly so the window is inserting with it’s bottom edge aligned vertically.

I am very gratefull for your guidance! :innocent:

There should be no visible blue back faces in your 3D model.

Ok, very clear.

You should correct them all.

Ok, done that. All is white now.

In a component that has been set up properly, the component’s axes will have the red and green axes aligned to the frame and the blue pointing out away from the wall.

Hehe, I changed that indeed in line with the main Axis alignment of the Global model. Now I have corrected it, it sticks better to the wall as I want.
This feels strange, what is the point of red/green axes aligned with the frame? And why the blue axis pointing away from the wall? I would like to understand.
Is the blue axis the inserting-axis?

This axis component axis alignment only applies to components that have the gluing property set. It would be the same for all components with the gluing property so it adds consistency to the way gluing components are created. It probably is more easily understood for components that glue to horizontal or 'any" surfaces instead of just vertical but at least it is consistent across components.

No. Not really. The insertion point is the component’s origin; where the axes intersect. The plane on which it inserts is defined by the red and green axes. The direction the component faces is determined by the direction of the blue axis with solid blue pointing away from the gluing plane.

@Marnie To clarify, when we create cutting components, the red-green plane is used as the component’s “cutting plane” and/or “gluing plane”.

Aha, now i get that part, the ‘Component axis’ has a different purpose than the model axis → for cutting/gluing

Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like