Can't hide roof because building is not grouped

Hello, in my design class our professor sent us a building but its not grouped and I can’t hide the roof and build inside it . How can I group the roof separately from the walls and hide it? I’m using sketchup pro 2021

Window select round the roof, make it a component, and give it a name.

Assign a tag to it, and turn the tag off.

Select any other chunks of loose geometry and make each chunk into named component, until you have no loose geometry (edges or faces not in a component or group) left in the model.

If you upload your model here, people can give you more precise advice.

You could also use a Section Cut to hide everything but the lower part of the walls and the floor. If none of the model is grouped yet, at the very least make a group of the geometry before you start adding details to avoid your new details becoming welded to the existing geometry.

bank .skp (1.1 MB)

any help would be very useful. Thank you !

I don’t see round the roof option in window. Maybe it because it a new version of sketch up pro.

oh my bad the model is grouped but i still don’t know how to hide the roof because its grouped all together

That’s not what I meant.

I mean use a left-to-right selection round the roof.

You already have a section cut you can turn on through the Sections toolbar.

It’s a shame that your professor gave you this model as it is. It could be modeled in a way that would make it easier to work with.

I’ve fixed the incorrect tag usage…
Screenshot - 4_26_2021 , 2_46_43 PM

…and purged unused stuff from the file.
Screenshot - 4_26_2021 , 2_47_00 PM
Here is the file.
bank .skp (1.1 MB)

1 Like

Oh thank you !
So you just recommend to use section plane?

In this particular case, yes. If you were modeling this from the beginning I would suggest you make a better, easier to work model. But for this use I don’t think the time it would take you to redo the model would be well spent.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Good luck. I hope you can get through it all OK.