Separate plans into layers

created a whole 3d house plan on one layer oh no! I have now worked out how important layers are. I need to layer all the bits separately can I do this now it’s all made as one? feel a little sick

Did you make groups and components as you were modeling? If so, create your layers in the Layer panel and then go through selecting the groups and components in the model and add the desired layer to them in Entity Info.

no I am new to this! I’ve literally made it all as one.

Well, that’s going to make much more work for you. You need to learn about using groups and components before you worry about layers. Layers in SketchUp don’t provide any separation like they do in a program like Photoshop.

I would suggest you spend some time learning the basics of using SketchUp and then probably redo your house model for the plans. I haven’t seen your SKP file but most likely it’ll be easier to start over than repair the existing file.

is there a way I can group certain areas now.

Yes. You can select edges and faces and create groups. It will be tedious and you’ll have to be careful that you don’t miss edges or faces that should be in the group and don’t include things that shouldn’t be in the group.

You should also study up on the CORRECT use of layers in SketchUp before you start creating them and potentially make your model even worse off.

Ok thank you for your help. Is there anyway of uploading the model on here just in case someone would like to have a look? :crossed_fingers:t2:

Yes. Assuming it’s 3Mb or less, you can upload it with the Upload button or just drag and drop it into the message window. Otherwise, upload it to DropBox and share the link.

no.6.skp (1.6 MB)

Your model isn’t that big but you still have your work cut out for you. You should fix your roofs with the diagonal lines. The fact that the diagonals are required indicates the edges aren’t aligned on the same plane. And you need to correct the reversed (blue) faces.

The interior walls in the garage are missing, too.

There’s some oddities inside the walls of the house. Do you really intend for it to be a box inside a box?

It is supposed to be cavity walls which are different thicknesses and different cavitys in certain areas. I was struggling with the garage roof and seem to of deleted lines I wasn’t supposed to all over the place. I was chuffed with it being my first effort. But obviously not that great :pensive:. I really struggled finding where the problems exsist.

For a first effort, it’s not so bad, but it’s not really good enough to use as a proper plan.

I would suggest that you take the time to learn the basics and then redraw the model correctly. It’ll go faster the next time and it’ll be easier to work with. Even if you get things grouped in this model, I think you’ll find it’s going to be frustrating to work with.

ok thanks for your help il look into all the things noted