Can't get rid of external faces to make one solid

Solid inspector 2 says I have external faces. I want one solid, but there seems to be 3. How do I get rid of the extra faces between two curved faces? Can you give me some pointers please?
Fixed bar8.skp (2.9 MB)

Uploaded my design

Uploaded a picture to illustrate my problem.

If I hit the Fix button in Solid Inspector 2, it will remove the red parts, which is not what I want. I want one solid.

scale your model up by 100 times, fix it, scale back down…
It can be done manually, but Solid Inspector may work at the larger scale as well,

I scaled it up by 100x. Solid Inspector still fixes it be deleting the red parts. By fixing it manually, what do I do or try?

Typo. …still fixes it by deleting…

Hi @san0wong,

There are a number of errors in the model that will prove difficult to fix.
See the attached copy of your file:

Fixed bar8 Copy.skp (888.4 KB)

Geo,
Thanks for pointing out those problems. My problem is I don’t know how to avoid those problems. I tried to re-create my model several times with different scales, different number of sections for a curved surfaces, different sequences of creating the shapes. I always ended up with these problems. I think it has to do with the accuracy of sketchup. If you noticed, all the problems you pointed out are along curved surfaces. I drew two curve lines with the same radius and center, the two curves always have small gaps between them somewhere. Does it mean Sketchup is just not accurate enough for the model I tried to draw? I need to do it in solidworks?
Thanks,
San

A quick fix for internal ‘partitions’ is to make vertiacl and/or horizontal section cuts though the form moving the planes so you can see any internal faces.
Select + delete to remove them.
That won’t make it solid, but gives tools trying to fix issues a fighting chance…

Tip: Xray mode used in conjunction with Solid-Inspector is also useful for seeing internal issues…

1 Like

You drew with an enormous number of edges on each curve (which in itself can be a problem because your object is pretty small - the edges are very tiny). But SketchUp still draws curves as a series of straight edges. Unless the curves have exactly the same number of segments and the endpoints of the edges are exactly aligned with each other (by using the inference engine) there will be tiny gaps because neither curve is really a circular arc. If you really want the curves to be identical, why not draw one and then copy it?

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind responses. I eventually solved the problem by zooming into the internal of the object, deleted some edges, faces, and did some repair by drawing larger surfaces/edges. Problem solved. It is a good learning experience. Solid Inspector 2 is very useful. As you said, Sketchup uses straight lines to model curves. This is what it is to be worked with, not a real “problem”. I don’t know enough about other tools. Joining curved surfaces may be deal with in other ways.

Like @john_drivenupthewall says, model large and then scale down to desired size.
Start with a large rectangle on the ground plane.
There, draw the profile of the part in 2D.

Use Push/Pull + Crtl to create the various horizontal faces within the part.
Create a vertical section plane to gain a view of the interior and erase what you don’t need.

1 Like

Hi Guys
I did the model Fixed-bar8.skp (1021.3 KB) for you fixing your model. Noticed that you were doing a lot of thing wrong. Notice that my model is just 1Mb compared to yours. I will do a video if I get the time.
See attached file. You need to model on the axes. Try and do line segment to work with you 3D Printer. Do you have a plan so I can do you a clean model from dimension?

1invisiblegod,
Your version does look better. What did you do? What did I do wrong? I drew shapes, used push and pull to get the volumes. When volumes are created next to each other with curved faces, I always struggle to have the curved faces connected completely.

Geo,
I don’t follow when you said:
“Use Push/Pull + Crtl to create the various horizontal faces within the part.
'Create a vertical section plane to gain a view of the interior and erase what you don’t need.”

Can you elaborate or point to some material I can read? What do you mean by “Push/Pull + Crtl”?

If you use PushPull + Ctrl-key the result is different.
Usually the extruded object has its original face where you started.
Ctrl toggle its creation on/off, so you can extrude and NOT leave the original face in place…

If you make a SectionCut through your object you will see inside it.
If there are edges/faces internally the object will never be seen as a solid.

Also it you have two forms passing through each other they can report a false solid.
3dPrinters will still fail.
Intersect the parts and delete any internal geometry…

See this copy of your model:

When you activate a tool, keep an eye on the Status Bar at the bottom of the SketchUp interface.
There, you’ll find helpful tips about tool modifier keys … like Ctrl, Alt and Shift

Push/Pull Tool: Creating a new Push/Pull starting face — SketchUp Help

Push/Pull Tool

Makes sense. Thanks.

i tried that and it still deletes it. i even tried making it a separate group so i could try and fix it but it still wont work

Resurrecting a 6 year old thread with a rather vague comment won’t go far in getting help. Try starting your own thread, In the Sketchup For Schools category, if that is what you are using.
Give it a descriptive title so we know quickly what it is about, then in the body of the post describe your issue and add an image and the model itself.
To add the model when using the web version, use Download from the top left icon to get the file onto your computer then add it to the message using the 8th icon from the left at the top of the message window.

thanks will do