Can't get rid of "construction lines" used to build larger sloped/curved surfaces

Hi. I have a model that is more a sculpture than a building. Because of this, I have made tons of “construction” lines in getting curves and slopes. I foolishly thought that by using the paint color it wold cover up the “construction lines” leaving me with lines that would remain at the points where the color palette changed.

Could somebody please help?

Also I am unfamiliar with the way to actually include a picture of part of the model/sculpture in the post in here, so if someone could help me with that I would be grateful too.

Just drag and drop the image or model into the message box, or use the upload button at the top of the message box.

To remove the construction lines, (if you have created guidelines), go to Edit > Delete Guides. Any construction lines should then disappear.

But if they are physical geometry you can smooth them using Eraser + ctrl.

Or use the soften smooth dialog.

The dotted edges within a surface are not “construction-lines” or guides.
They are the edges separating the facets forming the smoothed surface.
View > Show Hidden Geometry toggles ON/OFF.
Sometimes it’s useful to be able to see the individual parts forming the surface - e.g. when editing a few vertices, or repainting or removing a few facets - but many other times it’s useful to only see the surface [no dotted edges] - e.g. selecting it to paint/delete etc.
As @Box has just explained… you can ‘smooth’ edges using the Eraser tool + Ctrl - you can also do it by selecting the surface [or a group containing it] and using the Context-menu item to Smooth…
Note that you can use this tool to ‘un-smooth’ too - just enter 0 as the angle, and then all edges become ‘normal’ solid lines…

mnsjnzagbdGdh_01.skp (653.9 KB)

Sorry, I didn’t realize there were buttons at the top of the board I would use to post messages.

But here is a portion of the model/sculpture. Nothing about it is straight 90 degrees. Some of the lines I created (i.e. the lower down lines), but some of them I did not, i.e. the ones on the top. This piece I “pulled out” of the sculpture because I need to get the diagonal lines gone, and then draw Bezier Lines in their place.

If I use the erase tool, won’t that change the angle of the curve (which if you notice has a few other lines that represent another piece on top of that)? Besides, I must emphasize that I did not create the diagonal lines, the SketchUp program did.

I hope that specificity helps.

Frell me dead!!!

I used the “upload” tool, and it created a file, that you have to open. That’s not what I wanted to do!!!

Okay, I feel like a total idiot now!!!

Could somebody please help me?

IF what you are trying to do is to hide the extra lines so that the surfaces looks smooth(er), you can start by making sure that Hidden Edges is turned OFF in the View menu, then triple click on the surface, then right click and choose Soften/Smooth Edges. You can then use the Soften/Smooth Edges window to smooth out the surface (turn on Soften coplanar and slide the slider to the right until you reach the preferred “level of smoothness”

This will help with a lot of the extra geometry, but you also have quite a bit of loose geometry that needs to be cleaned up.

Hope this helps!

That did it. Thank you very much.

I know it seems like there’s a lot of “extra” geometry, little lines that seem to be floating around going nowhere, but this is only a small part of a much larger sculpture. I just had to break it down so I could work on the details of the “decorations”. I left a few lines so that I would know where the part that overlaps this piece is, without obstructing my view of the points where the Bezier curves have to start. But it does occupy the same space as the larger model/sculpture; so when I get it done I can simply copy it back into the original, and now that I know about the Hidden Edges, it’ll be easy; well until I encounter the other set of lines that I did make, and have to get rid of (without changing the softness) but that’s for another day.

And then it’ll get really fun when I have to pick a program to render the sculpture; but that’s another topic and one that I won’t need the answer to for a while.

I’ve got to give a shout out to Jacob Samuel for creating his Bezier Curve plugins for SketchUp 2015! I’ve been working on this sculpture since Sketchup 2013 and knew that at some point I was going to have to deal with tons and tons of Bezier curves. I just didn’t know exactly how I was going to do that with the existing Bezier Curve tools.