Can't change colors or materials on some components

I’ve been trying to figure out why I can’t change materials on some components while other components work. What have I been doing wrong? Also there seems to be something,g very confusing about the tags. Some components, as seen in Entity info are untagged, while if I hide the tag that I have put on them , the parts get hidden. So it seems they must be tagged and untagged at the same time, I don’t know.

Share the model so we can see what you’ve got going on. Keep in mind that materials applied to faces inside the component will override materials applied to the component container. If the faces in the component have had materials applied to them and you are trying to apply a new material to the component, that new material will not show. That has nothing to do with tagging unless you are using Color by Tag. In that case materials won’t show because the components get their colors based on the tags assigned to them.

DaveR, how can I find out if there has been any colour or material applied to a face inside a component and how to “undo” that?

The materials should be applied to the faces and not the component containers. You can find out where the materials are applied by looking at Entity Info while selecting the entity.

You can remove the materials from the component containers by selecting the Default material in the Materials panel and clicking on the components. Easiest is to select all of the components and apply the default material in one click.

I understand your explanation. The Default material I cannot find in the Material Panel. It seems to be an awful lot of work to apply the materials to each face. And
still, I don’t understand why it works with some components and with others not. ( to apply materials).

Oh, I found the default material, but it’s the same problem, just as I can’t apply any other material to these components, I can’t apply the default material either.

Share the SketchUp model so I can see exactly what you’ve got going on.

Thanks Dave, how do I share the model? Do I share it with you or with everybody? How does that work, Sorry I don’t have so much experience with this forum.

If you don’t mind everybody having access to your file you can share it here in this thread. If you’d rather only I have it, click on my name and then Message and add it to that message. It’ll be a private one, then. If the file is too large to upload to the forum directly, upload it to Drop Box or Google Drive and share the link either here or via a private message to me.