Can I easily adapt the model size

Dear Box
Many thanks, I am confuse.

I created a new file and I created a rectangle of 1000x1000mm.
I make four round of 100mm of Radius

I created another rectangle and I only make one radius of 100mm in order to create my peofile

I add 40mm on the bottom and on the leaft to extand my profile

I moved my profile at 10mm above the path and at 500mm (in the middle)

I selected my path and click on Follow Me and the result was the following

Because of crossing line, I removed the 40mm, on the left of the profile
Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 22.10.48
and I tried again the Following Me and I sadly missed

Then I extend my profile with 10mm

and I got again the cross line, but I noticed, the crossed line are now 10mm.

Should I be worried about the crossed line? If I deleted on face as the following

But if I zoom, I still have the corner, as yesterday

If I delete it, I destroy my face :slight_smile:

So what I am doing wrong!! :upside_down_face:

The goal after, is the scale it to have a box of 100x100 with thinkness of 4mm.

Nothing, you have run into another of sketchups issues. This is basically due to it having to make everything from flat faces and when you try to bend them it sort of makes flaps or overlaps.
When using follow me around a radius if the Profile Radius is bigger or very close to the same as the path radius you get these strange overlaps. The best option is to use a smaller radius than the path.
In this gif you can see from bottom to top 110mm, 100mm, 98mm and 90mm. 110 has some very strange overlaps, 100 has some very small overlaps, 98 almost works and can be repaired(tiny face issue again) and 90mm makes a nice clean sweep around the bend.
Different rad

So there needs to be a bit of a compromise, although if you scale up further the 98mm will create faces and the difference in radius will be tiny at the correct size.
It is possible to make things work exactly, but it is easier to fudge a bit.

The native tools way to do this is to make a sphere and cut parts of it to use as corner parts. Fredo’s RoundCorner or FredoCorner plugins can also make clean corner fillets with equal radiuses.

1 Like

Dear Box,

Ok,then having a radius of 90 for the profile, it fine and it look really better

But then , I do not know, if I missed something between of all your clarification, I selected the vertical face to close the top, I delete and sadely it did not work

Can it be due to the behaviour you showed me on the fourth gif? (my face look clean now, isn’t?)

Thanks

Looks like you deleted too much again. Or didn’t add the flat area inside the curve on the profile.

FM

1 Like

You’ve probably got it from Dave’s gif but I made this so here it is.
You need to look at the hidden geometry to understand what is happening.
You can see in the gif if I draw an edge out from the end of the arc the next segment is angled down, so if you select that edge and delete it it will delete the first part of the arc because they are two different faces, but having a straight section between the arc and the end of the profile it allows you to select and delete without touching the edge of the arc.
Look carefully at the hidden geometry.
straight

1 Like

OK; I get it!!! Ouha.

I did not move the profile out the path, because the result will be larger than 1000mm.
My goal is to decrease 1000m and 40m(thinkness) to 100mm and 4mm.

Here is how I could make (because of you:).

My box has a vertical radius of 100mm
The top (profile) has profile of 90mm
Yesterday, @Box suggested to extand my profile. It was I just did, but I extend it of 5mm (instead of 10mm)

It look nice, isn’t???

Many thank for your great help. You helped me a lot, and I really learned a lot as well.
Nice!!!

I can go ahead bow with my enclosure :slight_smile:

Sorry I didn’t mean you to move the profile, that was just a quick demo to show the straight part.
You got there tho, well done.

No need to be so stingy with the geometry. you could make the flat part at the top a little wide with no problem.

Just to confuse you now that you have got that method, here is another version to show there are always other options and issues.
Once again you need the arcs to be appropriate.
By have the profile be half the overall size you get two crossed faces, and when the profile is touching the path face you don’t get the warning message but you can see it removes the face where it follows the path.
Box

So all the bits and pieces we have been through in this thread can be used in whatever way works best for the shape you need.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.