Can anyone point me to the right direction on this guitar neck to body curve?

I’m trying to model this guitar and I’ve done pretty much everything, now it comes down to where the neck and the body join, I’ve tried all the method I can think of but nothing seems right…
the bottom pic is where I’m stuck now

hello, it seems you still have work on the body too ! I believe you only have the front and back of it with a void in between… Anyway, for both the body and the neck, it will be hard achieving it in sketchup free if this really is what you are using (says your profile) since you won’t be able to use any plugin.

i’t s all time and patient matter I believe, i’ve gone too far to give up at this point.

Well if you download the file from sketchup free and keep on working on it in sketchup make, you’ll be able to finish it with fredo6’s curviloft plugin. With a little work it will give you the tools you need for that !

Just a thought, and I might be wrong, but would it not be possible to use Curviloft to create the face, using the skinning option, and then use Vertex tool plugin to manipulate the face created to mould it further?

I will still need mounting point to create the face, the question is where should I mount?

It doesn’t really help having a model of the neck and none of the bodywork. What are we suppose to help you connect the neck to?

You are using layers incorrectly, you have all raw geometry separated into layers. Only Groups and Components should be assigned a layer (for visibility purposes). Layers do not separate geometry. All raw geometry (edges and faces) should be draw on and remain on layer 0.

Don’t guitars usually have the neck and body as separate parts? A Fender Stratocaster, for example, has a body carved from one piece of wood and a neck from a separate piece; the neck also contains a steel rod under tension, to counteract the tension created by the strings. Modeling the neck and body of your guitar as separate pieces might help you shape both of them. You’ll probably still need to use Curviloft to shape the neck, which typically transitions from square to rounded on the back.
Good luck.

davidheim1 is correct, Fender use’s a “bolt on” neck and Gibson a glue on. But the necks and bodies are separate.

You did a very nice job on the transition between the neck and headstock. How did you do that?

I would use the same approach for the neck to body connection.

I did find a link for this guitar, http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/10-312566500

But the neck and body are two pieces, with very nice sanding and painting.

Here’s a better shot of the neck to body http://www.fernandes.co.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/back-shot1.jpg

And it might very well be a through neck.

thanks you are right, I should have done that

I did try connecting with the same way I did the neck, like a Y direction,but the curve will look very " thin"

Upload what you have, neck and body. Let’s have a look. I’ve never modeled a guitar, but I’ve built a few.

so, first group, then into component, then move to layer? or the other way around? i’m trying to clean up and seperate the raw geometry now because the file seems BIG

There’s no point in grouping the geometry if you’re going to make it a component afterward. Just select the geometry, hit G to Create Component and give it a name or just hit Enter. Then select the component and assign it to a layer.

so…no need to group, just make the component and move it to layer?
the way I did was group group group group group, I draw a screw I group it, I did a washer I group it, then when everything is done I just leave it there and call it done LOL.

That’s fine as long as you aren’t selecting the screw group and the loose washer geometry before you make the next group.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.