Buying New Mac Mini M1 or Used iMac

Hi, Im looking at purchasing Mac hardware for SketchUp PRO. Is there an “ideal” MacMini specification to buy to run SketchUp? Heard issues with M1 chip? (i don’t want a MacBook)

Alternatively i have the option to by this used iMac, but finding it difficult to comprehend if its suitable.

iMac Pro (2017)
macOS Big Sur
PROCESSOR; 3.2GHz 8-Core Xeon W
MEMORY; 32Gb 2666 MHz DDR4
GRAPHICS; Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
1Tb

UPDATE; I WILL BE USING SKETCH PRO. ITS FOR DESIGNING COMMERCIAL & RESIDENTIAL GYMS. CURRENTLY USING PCON PLANNER BUT SWITCHING TO SKETCH UP.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Will

This is for use with SketchUp Free (web) as your profile indicates you are using? Probably won’t make a lot of difference.

Ill be updating to Pro when purchasing the hardware

Supposedly there ‘might’ be a new MacMini announced on the 8th, there’ll certainly be new Mac’s (iMac, Macbook etc) so wait till then to decide your path.

Just so you know, my main computer is a mac mini 2018 which I bought new and suits me just fine. But, Sketchup 2017 now runs with the upside down backwards text problem (since the big sur and monterey updates). There is no solution that I know of. Massive annoyance. So Sketchup 2017 is not an option for this particular computer. I don’t know about Sketchup Free, maybe someone could chime in.
The video card is listed as Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

There have been no complaints of the reversed text with SketchUp Free. The problem you are referring to has to do with graphics drivers supplied in newer Mac OS and some older graphics cards. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with recent machines, though, and doesn’t affect SketchUp Pro as the OP indicates he’ll be using.

In your case maybe you should switch to SketchUp Free. It’s prretty good for your hobbyist needs and you’ll always have the latest version of it.

1 Like