Bugsplat suddenly appeared - is my work gone for good?

Hello,
I’m really new to SketchUp and to be honest, my overall computer literacy is low. I was modelling off an jpeg image which I created and then stopped to adjust some display preferences. Having been working away happily for several hours, I suddenly get a message that there is a problem and I should send an error report. I didn’t do this as I’m worried I’m going to lose my work (which is unsaved in an official capacity although I do have the selection box checked to ‘save every 5 minutes’. I reopened SU after it closed itself and can’t find my work. I’ve looked under recent items hoping to see some reference to unnamed work but nothing. Has this gone for good? Any ideas what prompted the sudden Bugsplat given that I’d not downloaded/imported anything from an unknown source? I use a Mac which I thought couldn’t get viruses…!

You should have some backups and autosaves on the same folder where you saved your model. Sketchup autosaves in 10 minutes intervals by default.

You can open autosaved versions in three ways:

• Find them directly in your folder and double click (filename starts with autosave…)
  • Open sketchup first with a blank file and open the file you were working on from inside sketchup (wich makes a dialog pop up asking if you want to open the autosaved version)
  • Open your file as usual, do a single line or double click a component and use File > Revert, wich will open the file you saved or pop up for the dialog above.

there may be an Autosave_Untitled.skp in your User Library folder…

/Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Autosave

but, it may not have been generated…

if it is in there, rename it and move to Documents before opening, or open it and Save As, with a sensible name…

john

unless you have extensions installed the most likely candidate is the imported jpg…

is it very complex, very large, very small, or far from the model axis…

all those things can have an effect…

BugSplats and viruses are very different things, BS are generated when system shuts down SU because of an unresolvable error, the report contains steps that lead up to the fault, if submitted, it helps the developers find your problem and possibly offer a fix…

viruses are injected to silently work in the background without anyone noticing…

macs can’t get Window viruses, but there are mac specific and cross platform ones these days…

even if downloaded, you have to ‘authorise’ them [either deliberately or accidentally] for them to do any harm…

opening email attachments is probably the easiest way to authorise one, there was one hidden in a jpg a couple of years back…

it was on a mac fanboy forum with a label saying ‘known mac virus DO NOT open this jpg’…

people opened it, it sent itself to everyone on the users Address Book, and within days it was worldwide…

john

Without the BugSplat report it isn’t possible to diagnose exactly what caused SketchUp to crash; it could be many things but it is extremely unlikely that a virus or other malware was the cause.

BugSplat is a diagnostic system integrated with SketchUp by Trimble, not a malicious agent trying to trick you into revealing something or taking control of your computer. As a SketchUp newbie and by your own statement non-expert computer user, you would of course not know this. In the future, always submit BugSplats and include information identifying yourself so that Trimble can get back to you.

I hadn’t saved the model at all so I assume SU can’t autosave. I only know how to open files via opening SU then going to File > Open and as I say, there’s no file there. Thanks all the same.

For some reason, SU now opens white not the usual green, is this anything to do with the Bugsplat?! How do I revert it please?

As driven says

You might be openning another template

Unfortunately I have no idea how to access the User Library Folder. I’ve opened SU from new, as I always do, no reason for it to change. Somethings way off though as my preferences have changed too, I use meters but it’s now measuring in feet and inches. I’ve taught myself to use other programs but I do find SU v complicated and not at all intuitive.

As @JQL noted, this would indicate that you are now using a different template file than previously, and this template uses different settings than the other one. If you click Help->Welcome to SketchUp and then expand the template list in the popup window, you can choose a different template and set it as your default.

Thank you

read this for how to open your Library folder…

also, your preferences are ignored if you open someone else’s skp file…

it will have their settings…

Double clicking the SU icon will open ‘your’ Template…

john

The user document folder is probably your windows documents or mac’s equivalent.

The folder Sketchup uses to store unsaved document’s autosaves is listed in Sketchup under:

Window > Preferences > Files

or if you’re on a mac:

Sketchup > Preferences > Files

No such thing on Mac, alas!

Really? I thought everything on Preferences Menu was similar on both OS.

That is dull, thanks for letting me know!

It’s an item on the list of seemingly arbitrary differences between the Windows and Mac GUIs. Like this one, many of them are not due to “the Windows way” vs “the Mac way” but rather just because the developers didn’t bother to program them to work the same.