Bringing one component in same plane as another

North Door - Slats.skp (116.4 KB)

Hi, This is my first post and I am a newbie to sketchup. I know I do not have all of the terminology down either, so feel free to correct. I am attaching the file where I am trying to fill in the door opening with tongue and groove slats. I am used to moving objects and then snap them, e.g., garb outside corner and snap it to the inside corner. However, these slats have a .125" gap in the tongue and groove interface, i.e., 1/8" of the tongue remains outside the groove.

I have made 3 components; Left Slat, Slat and Right Slat. 8 “Slats” should fit between “Left Slat” and “Right Slat”. I may need to adjust the .125" gap also.

So, what is an efficient way to bring the 2nd “Slat” forward so that it’s face is in the same plane as the placed “Left Slat” and the two should have a .125" space between the tongue and groove interface?

Thanks

When you are using the Move tool, you should grab the component by a corner that has an identifiable destination such as another corner in another component. Or move in a given direction entering the distance.

In this case you could move the second slat to align with the first and then move it over the 1/8 in. to create the gap. After that you can make additional copies as a linear array by moving the first copy over the needed distance and then hitting xn or *n where n is the number of additional copies.

Here I’ve temporarily hidden the bottom rail to make it easier to see what is going on.
Move

In case it’s not clear, when copying the slat to make additional ones, I started the move by clicking on the bottom right corner of the slat to the left so that I could duplicate the gap.
Move2

FWIW, if I were modeling this door from scratch I would model the slats in place rather than modeling them elsewhere in the model space before moving them into place.

Awesome DaveR. I am away from compute so I cannot try but I am familiar with moving by typing in the distance. This will totally work for me. I also knew I could copy but saw that tutorial long time ago so this will also help practice that.

While I have you, I have been going around the long way because I did not know, I can hide objects. I am sure it is super easy and may be obvious but would appreciate a hint if you have time. Thanks.

You can hide a component by right clicking on it in the model space or in Outliner and selecting Hide. Or select it and choose Hide from the Edit menu. To Unhide it you can use Edit>Unhide>Last or >All or you can make it visible via View>Hidden Geometry, right click on it and choose Unhide.

Thanks. I have practiced linear copy. If someone reading this thread does not know copy with move, like me, press and release ctrl key to get in that mode.

I have another question regarding generating dimension info for each component. I will research here and if I don’t find the answer I will post a new questions.

Much thanks DaveR.

Imran

Are you thinking about generating a cut list? There are numerous cutlist extensions. My favorite is an old one called Cutlist 4.1. It’s very easy to use and quick. It’s available in the Extension Warehouse.

Does the extension work with 2017?

Cutlist 4.1? Yes it does work in SketchUp 2017.

Many thanks.