Bringing Layout up to date

Ugh, I happen to be banging my head against Layout’s mind numbing slowness this morning, staring at the beachball for 30 seconds at a time just trying to switch between pages, we all know the drill. A potential speed workaround occurs to me…

How about an option either in SketchUp Model viewport rendering drop down, or in the export options dialogue to export all viewports as Vector or Hybrid, without changing the display rendering?

I need to export in Vector, but if I render the working file in Vector or Hybrid the workflow grinds to a depressing snails pace waiting for constant re-renders. So, like many others, I believe I leave all viewports set to raster or keep the auto rendering off until I am ready to export. Then I run through the file and reset every viewport to Vector or Hybrid (takes forever, is there a way to batch switch rendering for all viewports in a file?). Then, a week later when it’s time to modify the file for the next design iteration I have to run through the whole multi page file switching all the Viewports back to raster just so I can work with the file, then switch back again for the next round of output. Does anyone have a better method?

A great modification for me would be a simple check box for “output as Vector” but leave working rendering in raster. Then I would never have the wasted time or frustration of switching viewports rendering just to output then switching back again to work. Sure, I would have to wait a long time for the export process as Layout re-redered each viewport to vector in the background, but thats way less than my current method.

3 Likes