Book recommendation

I just purchased Sketchup Pro 2016 and need guidance on workflow. I am a builder and re-modeler, so whatever resource I choose needs to be specific to that industry.

The Sketchup Workflow for Architecture by Michael Brightman looks like a good book, but it looks like it was published in 2013, and I was hoping to find something that reflected the advances in the program since then.

Any suggestions, both in print and on-line, would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums! There are many resources available for SketchUp, some are more advanced than others. Without knowing a bit more about your skill level, it is impossible to make any solid recommendations. How long have you been using SketchUp and can you share a few examples of your work? Finally, if you can be a bit more specific about what you need from SketchUp, it would be much easier to make recommendations.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have just started using Sketchup, so consider me a beginner. I can draw lines and arcs, extrude, truncate, mirror, group and explode, apply textures, and various other basic operations. I have intermediate proficiency in 2-D CAD.

Right now I work exclusively in residential. I do some new construction, but mostly re-modelling, which entails removing structural walls, adding on to existing structures, spec-ing cabinets and other fixtures, and building free-standing structures.

I need to be able to generate 2-D plans for the purpose of obtaining building permits and communicating with my subs, and need to provide 3-D to show clients and subs what the finished project will look like. I want to avoid jumping from program to program and duplicating effort.

The promotional pages at Sketchup talk about how Sketchup can fill these needs when used in conjunction with Layout, but I have not be able to find any tutorials that address the workflow question. so what I am looking for is a steo-by-step guide to workflow in the residential construction and re-modeling field.

I hope this helps clarify my needs. I look forward to hearing suggestions so I can become productive with Sketchup.

I suggest the Brightman book even though it covers SU/LO 2013. The descriptions on how to use Layout and how to generate the proper workflow are invaluable and can easily be applied to LO 2016. Check it out. You won’t be sorry.

More books. Things have improved over the years, but the core skills on using the program remain the same.

If you’ll forgive me for being four years late with this response, I’ve just published a book called “Construction Documents Using SketchUp Pro 2020” available on Amazon, Issuu and SketchUcation.com

Construction Documents Using SketchUp Pro 2020 is a detailed step-by-step guide to building a house model from scratch and creating finished construction documents. This easy-to-follow course contains tips and tricks to export fully finished Plan/Sections/Elevations and Details. Each page explains the steps to finish a task.

This course was designed with busy architects and constructors in mind. It was formulated from years of experience using SketchUp in practise and teaching professionals from many different backgrounds. Written by an experienced architect who has used SketchUp to design and project-manage many types of jobs from dwellings to commercial office buildings, it has been shaped by extensive practise of design and build. Inside this book are contained some of the best professional workflows you’ll find anywhere.

SketchUp’s tools and settings are best understood in the context of a “live” project. In this book, our chosen topic is a renovation-extension of an existing dwelling completed in real life by the author. The book clearly illustrates all the steps required to construct the walls, windows, doors and roofs in a professional manner using best-practise naming procedures. Groups and Components are structured in the most simple and effective way to achieve beautifully presented construction documents.Each concept is clearly documented: Groups, Section Cuts, Styles, Scenes (Views), Tags (Layers), Perspective Views and Orthogonal Views.

Tools are introduced in sequence as we move from task to task. The reader gets a comprehensive understanding of how each works in practise. Every page is set out using crystal clear graphics which link the itemised steps to their image (visual) reference.The SketchUp model is built in a way that mimics real-life construction process: Walls and floor slabs are set out on the Ground Plane; The slab is poured, and walls are built up. Windows and doors are placed inside the wall structure; Internal Walls are constructed and doors are inserted; Finally the roof is created complete with rooflights.Component Libraries are an essential part of our SketchUp modelling. Learning how to name, create and manage our Libraries boosts our ability to rapidly populate our models with doors, windows, tables, chairs, people and cars. Section Cuts enable us to slice through our model and create our plans and sections. To complete our SketchUp modelling session we learn how to manage materials and colours.SketchUp Pro’s graphics interface- known as “LayOut” has some exciting new upgrades for 2020. Learn how to choose and set up Title Blocks, insert SketchUp Model Scenes and create dimensions, text and graphics.

This book contains a unique section for creating scaled 2D drawings, effectively replacing 2D CAD functionality. Scrapbook is a graphics library within LayOut which contains all kinds of pre-loaded and customised material. Scrapbook’s drag and drop interface is a powerful means of quickly finishing off drawings and presentations. Each LayOut menu is explained in detail. The LayOut section of the book explains Procedures for creating our own graphics library, along with recommended sizes for text, line weights and dimensions.

An important feature within the book is the author’s five favourite shortcuts or keystrokes. These five “Killer Keystrokes” have a massive impact on modelling time and convenience. Creation of your own bespoke shortcut keys is also explained.SketchUp’s BIM capabilities are outlined in the preface of the book, along with a critique of 2D CAD and why SketchUp Pro is superior choice for traditional CAD users. SketchUp has become the new “de-facto norm” for architecture and design professionals. For design and construction professionals looking to upgrade their skills to the next level, this book is a must-read.

Thanks for the question and I hope that is helpful.

Any other questions please let me know.

1 Like

very helpful, thank you!

Thank you. I just purchased it!

Thanks for your purchase. Good luck with it and let me know how it goes! :slightly_smiling_face: