Best way to create a 3D floor plan in SketchUp

Hello!

Wanted to share an easy wall modeling method that I use when drawing walls from scratch, from CAD files or images.

This method works in all SketchUp versions and there is no need for extensions, so is safe for beginners.

I have provided a 3D Warehouse template with three basic components:

  • Wall
  • Window
  • Door
    These components do not have any materials and use the face direction and guidelines to improve plan readability. Anyone can make these components themselves - only the guides setup require some tinkering.
  1. When creating a plan you only need to use Move, Scale and Tape Measure tools. This avoids basic drawing tools and unnecessary cleanup.
  2. For the 3D part - you only have to use PushPull to create all the walls, windows and doors at once. If there are different heights - you can simply use Make Unique command after.
  3. Then use the Outer Shell command to combine all components togeather.
  4. For cleanup - use Delete all guides and orient faces commands.

Honestly, in the almost 20 years I have used SketchUp, I have yet to find a simpler, more elegant solution. I have tested this in all SketchUp versions and use this for my students to understand the need to create proper components and solid objects.
I usually then use the new Live Components to add doors and windows.

What do you teach, and where? If you don’t mind me asking.

For around 15 years have been teaching SketchUp, AutoCAD, visualisation and 3D printing in various schools and universities in Latvia, as well as our Autodesk and SketchUp ATC. Also have been making a lot of webinars.
I have made a few online video courses and was planning to record the next iteration in English as well, so set up a dedicated YouTube channel to make some content for practice pourposes.

Here is the last seminar we had about wood construction - so far one of the most popular ones. Was briefly showing your Extensions as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQM0XLjOOXA

As you noted in your video my extensions are very North American centric. However that being said I am curious how residential structures are typically created in your part of the world. Is light wood framing atypical or if it is common how does it significantly differ from what we do here in the United States?

Light wood framing is quite common for cheaper construction and module type buildings.
We use a lot more light metal framing for interior walls, usign KNAUF systems.
Aerated concrete blocks are the most common residential building material.