Back After 5 Years... Which One

Hi there,

I used to use Sketchup 5+ years ago in my previous job, just for small light concept designs.

I would not like to get back into it, however I see their product offering and pricing has changed a lot.

I see there is a web only version which I am surprised to see, as I always found the software itself quite demanding on the computer’s CPU.

I am thinking of going for the Pro version. I presume that syncs to your web account too for cloud use?

The desktop application’s File menu has Trimble Connect, and in there you can publish models to the cloud storage, and then open the same models in the web version. Or you could open one of the Trimble Connect saved models on another computer in the desktop version. There are also ways to share the model to other people.

The web version can run into problems with large models, and there are file size limits for uploading and downloading. If you’re doing complex models it would be worth just working in the desktop version.

1 Like

Thank you Colin, I’ll go with the Pro.

Lastly, I thought SketchUp was a Google product, no?

Or did they buy Trimble?

Sketchup was originally released in 2000 by @last software, then bought by Google in 2006 and sold to Trimble in 2012.
So Trimble have owned it longer than anyone else and yet people still think it is Google.
You’re not the only one.

2 Likes

I’ve been an active user for 10+ years and I am confused by all the editions and offerings, lol.

The web versions completely lack extensions (including shipped extensions like Dynamic Components and Advanced Camera Tools). I think subscription is the “default” option.

3 Likes

Select perpetual licence to ensure you don’t don’t get locked out of your files for when/if you opt not to renew subscriptions. Yes it may be a little pricier at the start, but after a couple of years you’re winning all the way.

1 Like

What makes you think that you are ‘locked out’ if you do not renew?
Is someone coming over and scramble your files?
Everyone gets a Free plan, so you can always open and edit them in the browser.

You should pay closer attention to licencing terms and conditions. You may not use the free version of the software for commercial purposes. Of course, if you closed shop / retired you could do that, but then again you would not have the need to.

1 Like

In general, I advice people to get a perpetual when they are not into “modern” stuff (Viewers, Collaboration no need to get involved in bigger organisations) They can choose whether or not if the new versions are worth the upgrade and pay the Maintenance if so.

We have customers still using v8, for that matter, if it works, it works.

I advice others who are into modern things (VR-AR, Webservices, Larger companies, Data exchange, Trimble Connect) to go Subscription.

Still, there is some misunderstanding about licenses, though. You buy the right to use it and are permitted, if you want to own software, you can create or built your own.

So you have to decide if it’s worth paying to keep on using the ‘latest and greatest’ or keep stuck with the version ‘as is’

As you have noticed, the maintenance for network licenses doubled around februari, last year. They too have to decide to keep using the version they have, or upgrade to the newer. Prices for Maintenance of a network license is more then a Pro Subscription. I do not work for Trimble or SketchUp, so I do not know what future plans they have for the Maintenence plan for Stand Alone licenses. It is not going to be cheaper, for sure.

It is part of the (n)everending story: in the end, Trimble’s stakeholders will decide, I guess.

1 Like

If you are on the subscription plan, and choose not to renew, you actually lose all access to the program, hence “locked out”. The perpetual license, however, allows you to keep a license to that version “forever” even if you choose not to renew.

3 Likes

He was talking about ‘the files’

1 Like

Getting locked out of the program de facto locks you out of the files, even if the files themselves aren’t getting encrypted or anything. While it could be more precisely expressed, I don’t think it’s an invalid statement.

1 Like

no, you can use them with any program that ‘reads’ .skp files (mostly render programs) but there are modelers, too. (Rhino, ViaCad)

:tomato: :tomato:

1 Like