AutoSave with Sketchup Pro and Trimble Connect

I previously created a model in Sketchup Web using a free license, then opted into a trial of Sketchup Pro. I opened my model in Sketchup Pro 2022 from Trimble Connect and have made a couple of changes, using the Trimble Connect->Publish Model menu item to update the model on Trimble Connect. Things were working great, there was a central location where my model was saved, I could load it on my iPhone in the viewer app or on another PC in the web version to view my changes.

However, I had made several changes since my last publish and this morning my PC rebooted due to Windows updates. When I open Sketchup Pro I do not see any indication that there is an updated version on my Trimble Connect account, AutoSave and Backup are enabled in the menu, but there don’t appear to be any files locally to open. Does AutoSave not work with Trimble Connect? This seems like a huge shortcoming if autosave only works with local files and not with items stored in the cloud. I am really frustrated as I lost a significant amount of work and don’t appear to be able to recover.

You could connect to Trimble Connect in a browser, and see if the later version of the file is there.

For whether the auto save file works with a model that came from Trimble Connect, I think that it should, but haven’t tested that. The auto save files are in this folder, you could look to see if the model is there:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2022\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

I checked on the web and the last version of the model was updated on February 26th, which is the last time I selected “Publish Model” in the Trimble Connect menu in the desktop application.

There is no “working” folder present under %AppData%\Sketchup\Sketchup 2022\Sketchup

I searched for *.skp and *.skb files on my desktop and I only see a version modified on the 26th.

I did test what happens, and I do get auto saves when working with a Trimble Connect model.

I misremembered the app data path, sorry about that. Try this:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2022\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

There was a file there, but I had already re-opened the latest version on Trimble Connect so I suspect it got overwritten by an auto-save from the old version.

Yes, quite likely. Oh well. Look there first if something similar happens again.

But not synced ot saved with the data in the cloud, one needs to ‘publish’ each version. Autosave in SketchUp doesn’t work the same as autosave in Word.

If it came down to needing to use the auto save file, I would move it out of the recovered files folder, maybe even rename it, open it and open from TC the last successful published version, and copy over recent changes. Then publish the TC version again.

Is there a way for Sketchup Pro to auto-save to a reliable location or the cloud?

The only way is to manually ‘Publish Model’ via the file menu or one of the icons in the Trimble connect toolbar.
‘Autosave’ in SketchUp Pro (desktop version) is only for when something has gone wrong (crash, power outage, etc)
The naming should have been updated when the webversion arrived into something like ‘Temporary file’ or something similar.

Or ‘Recovery file’……

1 Like