Autosave & Recovery SKP File Locations

Hi everyone,
This is regarding Sketchup Pro 2018;
Wondering if there’s a way to control where autosave files and “.skb” (backup) files go when using Sketchup. Folders get quite overpopulated, and we constantly have to go in and put these excess files in an archive folder to remain organized. I’m wondering if there’s a workaround to prevent multiple files from autosaving or creating backups in the same original file location. For example, with CAD if there is a recovery file it gets saved to the C drive (in a Temp folder) to access if required. This would be amazing and save time down the line.

Well, FWIW in v2019+, they did move the recovered files to a special folder in the %LocalAppData% path.

I just checked the two preferences json files (for SU2018) and find no path setting for backups.

In 19.3 and 2020, autosave (aka, recovered) files are stored in the following locations.

Mac
~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 20xx/working/SKETCHUP/RecoveredFiles

Win
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 20xx\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

1 Like

Receiving an file not found error message

You have to replace “YourUserName” with your actual user name and “20xx” with the actual version number of your SketchUp.
You can also open the Start menu and type %appdata%. That takes you to the appdata folder that is normally hidden.

Have a missing .Layout file I need to find. I have the .PDF export so I know Im not dreaming that I did the work. desperately need to find this file, albeit remotely. Is the recently used and/or recovery and back up files stored in the same place for SU Pro 23? I am hoping I can see a list of recently opened files as it may not have been renamed from a previous template.
Thx, H

On a Mac

Mark left SketchUp 10 months ago.

In Finder you should be able to search for .layout, and choose LayOut Document File, to find all LayOut files.

Do you see the file in File/Open Recent?

I’m working remotely and the file should have been saved in dropbox. It’s not there. I already had someone not Mac savvy search for it, but the global search sis not come up, so I wanted to see if I could open Layout up remotely and see the recent file list. But I tried Terminal, but I don’t get a response. I don’t really know how to use it. so I am screwed and will have to rebuild the entire doc on a stupid laptop. I know the file is there it just may have an old file nam as I used it as a template.

Are you trying to run files directly from Dropbox? If so, that could be how you lost your file.

I’ve used Dropbox like this for the last 8 years and have never lost a file till now.

Pegasus Design Group LLC

Just trying to help! SketchUp has always been best used with local files. As far back as I can remember, people have lost files or had files corrupted when saving to removable drives, network drives, or remote storage. If you have not had a problem, that’s great… except that you are currently searching for lost files… and not saving locally COULD be the reason.

You’ve been lucky until now, it’s known that doing this has a high probability of getting your file corrupted.

Dropbox stores the file on a local folder first, then it syncs. So not a problem

Pegasus Design Group LLC
303-748-5114

Thought I would ask if there is any new news on this topic. I am bumping into the same issue.

What issue exactly?

Your profile says you are using SketchUp 2019. Nothing has changed for that version in years.

This is very concerning considering many (if not most) professional offices work on network drives or these days, cloud drives. For example, we just moved all of our files to Google Drive.

I see you updated your profile to SketchUp 2019. Nothing has changed for years in that version either. If you were to update to the current version you would have access to unlimited Trimble Connect cloud storage. The way SketchUp and Trimble Connect interact you would wind up with backup files as well as a history of previous versions of the model files. There are many other features related to Trimble Connect as well.

I am in the process of updated to SU 2023. Although on a subscription for years, I haven’t updated since 2019 because newer releases haven’t offered any value to my process. (read: Layout still sucks)
I’m being forced to update now because 2019 no longer has access to the 3D Warehouse.
Anyways… I am not interested in a Trimble Cloud storage, as we, like most offices, have others files besides SU files in an organization that that we don’t want tied to Trimble.
Sketchup and layout need to play nice with the rest of the cloud world, don’t you think?

I don’t think that’s the problem.