Automatic dimensions

It is quite a different thing for a specialized application like Revit. There, the application will “know” that what you are creating is parallel walls, and to add automatic parameters that let you change the distance.

The tape measure tool had some updates recently, ho(o)vering over an entity displays certain ‘known’ properties of an entity, it would be nice if that functionality was expanded. An edge would display the length, for instance.
Also, when activating a modifier tool, it could display the bounding box measurements etc.

That would really be an improvement. It is something like that that I imagine, understanding, from all the discussions here, that it doesn’t make a lot of sense that Sketchup should show all the dimensions. It should be possible that when clicking on a line the dimensions would be shown.

Like this perhaps?

2 Likes

Yes!! Amazing!!
But actually that function is not implemented in Sketchup?

I just did that in sketchup.

1 Like

The problem by adding them manually is that they stay, like guidelines etc.
It bloats the view.
We also have the label tool that displays the coordinates of an endpoint. That also is permanent.

It is still a manual process. Sometimes, you just wanna know how large something is, not if the endpoint is somewhere in the coordinate system, but how long an edge is without placing those and then removing them afterwards.

Hovering over an edge with the measurement tool picks the coordinates but it would be nice if it could display more info (length). Additional, a ‘fading’ setting could be implemented so they would automatically disappear.

How? By which function?

The Dimension tool.

1 Like

Mike
With tape measure tool active you can display edge length/area by just “hovering” over edges(length)/face(area).
EDIT…I see now…maybe you mean to have a label of sorts remain temporarily? Apologies

C

In my version that doesn’t seem to exist.

What version are you using today? Your profile says SketchUp 2017 Make.

In that version as well as in SketchUp Pro the Dimension tool is found in the Tools menu or from either of several toolbars.

John, do you have a recommendation for such a plugin? because I could use it very weel too. Thanks

As you observe, it’s not difficult to create your own materials. You could make the one you are using look better by applying it to the faces of the components instead of to the component containers. That will allow you to rotate the texture so the grain runs the right direction on the part. I’ve done that in your model here.

DaveR, Usually when I try to render some wooden parts, I use the standard possibilities in “materials” for wood, which look really ugly, as they repeat the same pattern many times, How do you create such nice textures, from where you start?

Yes. I agree. The repetition is not very realistic.

As for where I start, it is with images of real boards, usually more than 2.5 meters meters long. I usually have 3 or more boards from the same log so the color is the same.

This model was designed with Sketchup Pro of my daughter.
The dimensions tool exists very well but it doesn’t show any dimensions while passing with the mouse pointer over lines, edges,…

Watch the following video to see dimensions in action.

More, for example here:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/adding-text-labels-and-dimensions-model

There are several cultist plugins. I know DaveR uses CutList 4.1 from the Extension Warehouse. I don’t use one often, but have used also Open CutList from the SketchUcation plug-in store.

a rather late thanks for all your messages!