Arrays along a path in Sketchup Make

I’ve searched around, but cannot come up with an answer that doesn’t involve using SUPro, but is there a way to create an array along a curved path that will auto-rotate the part being copied? I’m wanting to line the back and seat of a chair with slats (two are shown in the attached file). They will be inset into the sides of the chair so I will need the cutouts to be exact when I take the file into Vectric VCarve for the cnc router. Hope that was clear. Thanks!

shop chair help file.skp (157.6 KB)

Is the curve a ArcCurve ?
If so RotateTool can do this if you hold down the CTRL key.

It’s a complex curve with unknown radii @DanRathbun. By arc curve, you are referring to a segment of the diameter of a circle with known radius, am I correct?

You can use the combination “BezierSpline” (Fredo6) and “ComponentStringer” (Chris Fullmer) for this task…

(Edit: corrected plugin name)

‘Entity Info’ tells you the radius of both seat and back curves, so, find the centre point and rotate copies…
john

2 Likes

Yep, like this perhaps.

Shep

3 Likes

Oops! Component Stringer, not Shape Bender

Thank you, I’ve corrected the plugin name.

@chrisprouty77
This little plugin includes Point at Center, which makes it easy to find the centers…
Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse — Extension Warehouse

1 Like

Yes, well actually, a segment of the circumference of a circle, is an arc.
(Under the hood of SketchUp, the Ruby API calls them ArcCurve class instances.)

Ha, yeah. I guess I should have read my own question. I guess I meant to ask if you meant a simple arc or a curve that changes direction, such as the one I’m trying to follow. I’ve been able to accomplish what I needed using the methods above. I had to abandon the idea of insetting the slats. I don’t have the necessary cam software to program the 3d g code needed to angle some of the slats to fit around the front of the chair.