Apply a Fabric Panel, non rectangle and at an angle?

I have created a baseball diamond backstop. In addition to the vertical and horizontal post that form the skeleton of the of the structure, there is a panel of chainlink mesh affixed to the outside of it Between each post.
I have managed to get this chainlink fabric affixed to the lower part of the structure, but I am having difficulty understanding how to approach how to do the overhangs of the two wings.
The fabric application for centre portion of the backstop overhang was pretty straight forward. I just created a rectangle , the top horizontal bar was the axis, and I rotated the face 45 degress (the angle of the post overhand portion.)
But I am unable to do the same for the wings due to the fact that a) of the two panels, only one is a true rectangle, and b) the overhang portions of the overhang are for the most part different. Only the end one (1) is at 45 degrees. Post #3 is at 45 degrees, but onbly in relation to the centre portion of the backstop.

Would anyone be so kind as to share their skill in this challenge?

Turn on hidden geometry and use it to trace the shape, then offset it to make it a bit smaller.
I used curviloft to make surface, but a diagonal line would do the same !!

Once you offset you can adjust the texture to match up and hide the diagonal line.

Hi WhiteRabbitDesignCompany for your suggestion. I think I understand the concept, but it’s been very difficult to put into practice. My hidden geometry is very busy and I’m having issues identifying what line is which as I’m drawing lines.

One thing that your illustration doesn’t depict, and that may be in part from my lack of specifying it, is that the fabric has to sit on the horizontal bars between the posts, and actually extand a bit beyond. (Similar to the vertical panels). If I trace using the horizontal bars for reference, I’m unsure how I can extend the panel those few inches past the horizontal bars.

You could use the panels you have already made, just make sure they are groups, or if they are components, make them unique before modifying them. Here I move one of the lower panels up using the move tool with the copy modifier key pressed. Then I rotate it into position to sit correctly agains the support bars, I reference the bars at whatever angle they are at. The advantage of this is that you rotate the component or group axis also, so you can use the scale tool to easily change the size of the panel while staying in the correct plane attitude. There are ways to set this axis manually but tilting the object from vertical is a simple way of doing it.

ezgif.com-resize (1)

You can also move just one corner of a plane, start with nothing selected and click the the move tool on the vertex you want to move. In this case I used the autofold modifier key which is command on MAC, (I believe the alt key on PC) which allows me to move the node to any reference I want, even if it’s not in a plane as you described the condition around post three. Basically the same as @whiterabbitdesigncompany excellent solution, just without having to trace the edges.

To extend the edges of a panel that has been bent to fit a non-plane, use the move tool to just move the edge you want to extend. I am selecting the line I want to move, then “grabbing” the selected line by a point on the side of the panel that I want to end up over the support.

How about an extension called Clothworks, not free but if it works…
It is at Sketchucation in the plugin store.

Hello Endlessfix for your contribution! Sorry for taking so long to acknowledge as I’ve been trying to make this work.

To extend the edges of a panel that has been bent to fit a non-plane, use the move tool to just move the edge you want to extend. I am selecting the line I want to move, then “grabbing” the selected line by a point on the side of the panel that I want to end up over the support.

This is where I’m stuck. I traced the edges of my fabric panel. The four points are “on the edge” of the horizontal bars. But I am unable to extend the upper and lower edges to have the mesh extend beyond the horizontal posts.

In this image, I have the top edge selected, and if I use the move tool on the right edge, I can only adjust left or right.

Select the right edge, and grab the top edge,

it really messes up as it latches onto the horizontal posts.

Not sure where I am going wrong.

Also, I tried as suggested in your first instruction about moving a copied panel and adjusting. I was almost there when I realized that post two is on a different plane as well. So No three poles are on the same plane, and each will have to be adjusted in the way I’m struggling with.

upload your file for easier examination…

it looks like your could use ‘wire-frame’ to derive the frames from the splines…

john

I’m away from the computer at the moment so 5e image is small for me but I don’t see bounding boxes open for editing around your panels. Are they groups or components? If not they should be before you start to adjust them or they will stick to the rest of your frame.

Hi folks,

Endlessfix, no … it wasn’t grouped, but it is now. The result … fear!!! LOL. It just (apperars to) have become complicated to the newbie.

I am confused as to what tool to use. I see you using the move tool in your illustrations but all that does for me is move the whole group. I would have thought the scale tool would be more appropriate?

Needless to say, with the item as a group I now have a lot of edges (virtual or actual) to select from, points to grab and an uncertainty of which tool to use where.

Auburn12.skp (416.7 KB)

To move a vertex, "vertex tools " plugin is handy and it has a gizmo, but you can also move a vertex just with the move tool. When your panel is open for editing, don’t select anything or a line will get selected!, get the move tool and click on a vertex and you can then just move it.

move tool

vertex tool

Hello WhiteRabbitDesign, it took me some time to grasp this concept. It was no doubt a little bit more tedious than I could have imaged. I did not have any success with simply using the move tool. Just could not get the same behaviour as what your illustration was demonstrating. I did figure out “Vertex Tools” and eventually this provided me the success I sought.

Now, I am running into an issue with the actual texture application. I have completed what you had suggested 4 days ago with repect to lining up the tecture using the position feature. I did that, but when I try to erase the diagonal line, I lose the texture. :frowning:

Hold down ctrl or shift key when using the eraser. This will NOT delete the line but soften it or hide it respectively. You will see the line is still there with hidden geometry turned on.

Maybe late, but I’ll throw in with this. If the posts were done in a certain way, it would eliminate the problems with the panels and their textures.
Have a look at the process in the attached file. You may find it useful. Or not. I’m not sure either what the final goal is, so this was just a quick draft while eating lunch.

Shep
Auburn12.shep.skp (281.7 KB)