AMD Radeon R7 M460 w/ 2 GB

Hi everyone. Does anybody have experience using this GPU ? its included in the Lenovo 510s that I’m considering purchasing. I’m thinking its an acceptable compromise for a intermediate occasional semi-proficient sketchup user. I like to render once in a while (podium) but that’s handled by the i7-6500U…but if this GPU does NOT support hardware acceleration and/or crashes skectchup often then that would be a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise I don’t need the latest and greatest GPU. thanks

further info

If you can choose, choose Nvidia graphics.

To be honest, at the moment I am test driving a laptop that has a Radeon R7 M340 card. I installed the latest driver from AMD (publihed in October) and it has worked for me so far. My models are small. So perhaps Nvidia isn’t the only choice. Radeon OpenGL support seems to have been somewhat flaky these last years, but perhaps they have got it fixed (knocks wood).

Anssi

Thanks Anssi.
I’ve been having a hard time finding an all purpose sub 4 lbs 14 incher with NVidia GPU…the trend appears to be towards 15.6 in size if you want discreet graphics, which I’m sure is demand-driven…I’m hoping that AMD will - if not already - work out the flakes and push out the right drivers.

if 14" w/ dedicated GeForce GTX you might want check the “MSI GS40 6QE Phantom”.

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop with an AMD R7 M460 w/ 2GB, I had some problems with it initially, but they’ve upgraded their software (Radeon Version 16.9.2) and it works fine with SketchUp 2016 with hardware acceleration. I use a 22" external monitor for SketchUp and the laptop screen for all of the trays. Works with 2017 too, but I haven’t spent much time with that.

1 Like