Alternative "Delete Coplanar Edges" Plugin

Sketchup 2015 Make
Mac OS 10.10.4

I’m new to Sketchup and a friend recommended deletecoplanaredges.rb by CAD Addict to quickly delete edges of overlapping elements. I downloaded the file and installed the plugin but it returns an error message when I restart Sketchup.

I’ve tried to contact the developer but haven’t received reply.

Two questions:
Could this be a compatibility issue? The CAD Addict website doesn’t list compatibility requirements.
Is there an alternative that will work on a Mac?

ThomThom’s CleanUp³ is worth having.

But it may not specifically have this edge deleter ? (It does have a coplanar face merger.)

The Ruby file for that plugin lists 2005 as the last version date. If that is true, it very likely needs to be updated for compatibility with SketchUp versions 2014 and later, since they use a newer version of Ruby.

Is this website the original source of the plugin(s)? I get various listings when I Google “CAD Addict”.

If SMustard is the original source, then get it only from them.

Just a note for people using the merge face option to delete coplanar edges with the cleanup plugin:

The delete coplanar (merge faces) option in cleanup does not work that great. Coplanar edges most of the time are not deleted when the tool is activated, loops of lines have to be broken within the selection you are trying to make coplanar for the merge faces tool to recognize that these edges should be deleted. It works great in many instances, not all and in some cases a pain that it doesn’t.

Still have yet to find a plugin that can delete all coplanar edges between planar faces… Shoot…

2 Likes

CleanUp 3 has always worked great for me. Using merge faces I don’t see a problem. If there are edges that are not dividing faces, they won’t be affected. Running “delete stray edges” will get those.

The merge faces or “erase stray edges” as apart of the cleanup plugin, or the erase stray curves as apart of the edge inspector plugin, will not do anything to the lines in between the outer bounds of this wall for example as seen in the photo. None of those options delete any of the lines in between, because the lines in between are in complete loops… What I want is to delete all lines in between connected faces that are all on the same plane and only keep the outer shell result, no plugin can do this and it’s really too bad, because it would save a lot of time on the daily for me.

This is the result I was hoping for, no plugin will do this when there are continuously connected and complete edge loops in between connected loose geometry that shares the same plane…

They won’t delete coplanar edges if those edges are required to support faces. Try it after removing the internal faces. It will then delete the coplanar edges.

coplanar

2 Likes

Oh SNAP!!! Damnn, and of course, this is why you are the man… Ok wow so the best way to do this than for speed that I know of is to use the solid inspector 2 plugin to clean up those faces all at once, than hit the button to merge faces, boom. So sweet… Thanks for that Dave!!

2 Likes

Or don’t create the internal faces in the first place. :wink:

1 Like

Haha, there is no solution to that in some of the workflows I use for quickly modelling windows and doors for example. Well not that I can see right now… Thanks again :slight_smile:

Yeah. I know how you’re wedded to your workflows for fast modeling. Some of those things that seem to save time on the front end wind up costing you time later. Probably cost more time than you save.

Well in this case specifically after pressing 3 hotkeyed buttons all combined taking about 2 seconds or less, it’s certainly miles faster than using the eraser tool in aspects of my design process. Some situations simply cannot be avoided and certainly I see your point of view, because in order to be efficient, I have to weigh the pros vs cons like you’re saying - time saved now vs time lost later… There are a number of scenarios though where not drawing internal faces for example would waste more time than it gained and in a huge way, I mean a lot of time lost trying to focus all the time on not creating internal faces where as I can press 3 buttons and eliminate that issue once I’m ready… Pros vs cons…

I think in general though, Sketchup needs a serious improvement to how window and door openings in walls are made…