Advanced Assembly- Rose design on roof

Hello,
I am new to sketchup and need some help. I have created some rose petals features that I would like to put on the top of a design for my A-level in Graphic Products. I have made the petals individually using the sandbox feature and now want to place them on top of a circular building. When I put them on top of the building they either sink half into the building or wont sit directly on top of the building. I am also struggling to fit the individual petals together into the rose formations.

Would be very grateful for any help that could be given.

Katie : )

0 Likes

Petal 1.skp (125.0 KB)

attatched are an example of one of the rose petals and an initial version of the design to show the sort of idea I am going for. I am aiming for the final product to have the more delicate and curved petals on the roof.

0 Likes

rose design.skp (488.7 KB)

0 Likes

First off you should try to group any of your separate elements otherwise they will all get connected to each other. Once you group you petal, grab a corner point with the move tool and drag it until it snaps to a point on your roof, ( the sketchup inference will snap the point by which you are dragging onto a surface or other point in the model where your cursor is) then its a matter of using the rotation to get it into he position you need. If every petal is going to be the same, it might be worth creating it as a component at first, that way if you need to edit it, all instances of it will get edited the same. For something organic like this it’s a matter of positioning and rotating. You will find it easier once you have the petal selected to use another part of the model’s geometry as a guide to moving it, also the arrow keys can constrain the movement, so if you want to move it up (ble axis) , use the up arrow key , right for red axis and left arrow for green axis.

1 Like

Agree with everything whiterabbitdesigncompany said.

I also find that when moving/rotating using X-Ray view mode sometimes helps the snaps work much better.

1 Like