Adirondack Chair

Looking at the sad springtime state of my remaining flock… looks like I need to make some new ones myself.

1 Like

That’s called patina, John.

Here’s a different take on the Adirondack chair. this one is designed by Michael Fortune. I did the model and plans for this one 4 or 5 years ago. I did approach the slats on this one differently. I drew the back and the seat as if they were each made out of single pieces of wood. Then I split them into slats by adding the spaces in between.

5 Likes

Not that anyone asked me but I have never seen an Adirondack chair with curved back slats. Perhaps this is the “Park Avenue” version? I always figured the rudimentary nature of the design went with the Puritan ethic that you should be uncomfortable while swatting at mosquitos. Sculpted back and seat slats indeed!

Nevertheless, another DaveR masterpiece and something for me to aspire to.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Adirondack Chair:

Fantastic, Did you paint them in Mondrian’s colors? Love this discussion. I can see hundreds of garage cabinet makers telling their wives we’ll have lawn chairs this weekend.

I’m on board with Glen, this is supposed to be a place where Gin and Tonics are enjoyed while the grand kids tear up the back yard. Not “Where’s dad? is he still at the band saw burning up lumber”? I’m still impressed with the Maestro’s (both of them) SU work. I think they both should work on North Korea.

Where I come from the Blue ones cost a fortune to create the “Faux Aging Patina” . And BTW I doubt Either Mondrian or Reitveld ever sat comfortably in those chairs. These show the American ethos of if it’s comfortable it’s a good chair. Good work gentlemen.

I have tried one years ago. It was quite uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as it looks.

Which translates :
To sit is a verb, if you are tired, you need to go to bed and lie down

1 Like

Great work @DaveR

Would love to know how you did the seat slats, with them being curved in two directions.

I’m thinking maybe Curviloft and Joint Push Pull? Then create the spaces?

Thank you, Michael.

Are you referring to the second chair I posted? I don’t remember exactly how I create the initial curved surface. Most likely Curviloft. As I said:

Yes, sorry @DaveR, it was the second one I was referring to.

I see your work and realise I have so much more to learn with Sketchup.

Mike

No worries.

I feel like I do, too.

Thank you.

Here is Michael Fortunes garden chair and ottoman. I met Michael years ago during a woodworking conference. I have always been a fan.

2 Likes

Yep. That’s the chair.

nice chairs

How about a more traditional Adirondack chair?

Or a two-holer?

Or a cousin, the Westport chair? I modified it to add make this one wider and add a cushion for a large fellow who was afraid he’d get stuck in the original version.

Or there’s always the folding beach chair. If you have trouble getting up out of an Adirondack chair, you’ll find the only way out of this is by rolling over to one side. :smiley:

4 Likes

Will the beach chair look significant different in a Post-clothwork era?

To my eye, the drape of the cloth looks close enough to “right” that I’d be surprised if one draped with Clothwork would be detectably different, at the distance shown, if you aren’t specifically look for a difference.

This thread should be indexed under “Hideously Uncomfortable Chairs Done Incredibly well by DaveR”. The folding beach chair: a slapstick classic!

I’m a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright but a good bit of his furniture is not at all comfortable, either. If you’ve ever sat in a real Maloof rocker you will have experienced incredible comfort in a wooden chair.

What Earthly reason could I have for saying all this? Self-centered bloviation.