Accidental overwriting of a file

Hi guys.
I accidentally over wrote a file in my sketch up library with a new file and I was working on the file for the past 6 months. Is there any way to revert to a previous save point? the document has been closed since. I assume since the file has been overwritten there is no way to get the original back but just in case id love to know if there is a procedure that exists. I really loved the one that got deleted.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Austin

I still have the original .skb with the correct content but the sketch up file is overwritten. I tried using the restore previous versions button but it says there are none in the queue. please help.

If you have a good .skb file then you’re golden.

First make a copy of the .skb file so you have a backup just in case.

Then rename the .skb file to a new file with a .skp extension.

That’s it.

1 Like

I just need to rename the extension?? wow, ok thanks a lot!

For the future: you shouldn’t work on a file for 6 month and don’t create a backup from time to time… there are plugins for SketchUp that support the creation of backups…

thanks mate, you saved my life

I regularly make a complete backup of my internal SSD on an external hard drive. This saved my life a few times so far. My drive is 1 TB. I use a 2TB external drive. These can be bought for about 110 $ Can these days. I saw one that is advertised at about 80 $ Can + tax on Amazon. That is not much to be safe.

I use Cobian Backup which creates a backup of my selected directories every night. At any given time there are 4 previous backups saved. The are set up as FIFO so the oldest one gets shoved out when the new one gets written.