About my laptop

Hi, so I am still a student and I need to render some interior plans and I wanted to ask if I use Vray with my laptop would I burn the processor I am worried about overheating it
MY computer specfications:

Device name DESKTOP-VJ7KGIO
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.65 GB usable)
graphics card : intel iris xe

It’s going to depend on your model and what you need out of it as a render. Cleaning up your model will surely help. We could give you better advice if you share your SketchUp file so we can see what you are trying to get rendered.

BTW, the SketchUp Free you indicate in your forum profile is a web based version. Vray won’t work with it. Presumably you are using SketchUp 2023 Pro if you are using Vray. Please correct your forum profile.

Yes I am using sketchup pro 2023 but the trial version currently so I didn’t it was important to mention :sweat_smile:

I am trying to render an interior of a house my model isn’t complete yet but here is a screenshots of the model so far

It is important to get the profile information correct if you want accurate help.

Again, share the actual model.

What is your plan if we tell you that your computer is going to release its magic smoke if you try running Vray? I would suggest making sure the model is clean and correctly built and then try rendering in Vray. Start with few lights so your CPU doesn’t get over-taxed and work up to it.

I appreciate the help thank you but,
I was asking about it to see if there were different solutions if Vray was too demanding I didn’t want to ruin my only PC while being a student abroad that’s why I asked and since we weren’t taught about it in university so with all due respect spare me the sarcasm. I am going through enough as it is.

Sorry. There was no sarcasm intended. I was truly interested to know what your plan would be. Never mind now. Good luck.

It’s okay and thank you sorry if I misread your intentions I have alot on my plate currently and didn’t mean to lash out at you because teachers in my university could care less about teaching us important stuff like this so I am currently having to learn everything myself

When the cpu is getting too hot it will automatically throttle if the cooling system can’t cool it down until the temps get normal again, that means that the frequencies will reduce, the rendering times will increase a bit during the thermal throttling period, but it’s unlikely to burn your cpu just by doing a render, unless you’ve overclocked it and made some strange configuration on the bios to avoid thermal throttling.

As with many things on these forums, our users are offering good advice. Personally, I don’t like doing a final render on my laptop as I find the thermal performance is not as good as I would like. I try and do my final renders on my desktop whenever possible.

Generally though, most of the computer hardware out there these days has pretty robust thermal protection built in to it and will keep you from damaging your computer. It is not impossible to do, but generally, you need get into your BIOS and get into overclocking if you want to push it past the safety limits. I While it is possible to do it on a laptop, I generally don’t do it on mine as I prefer to use my desktop for things that will require more power.

If you are really concerned about damage to your computer, try and make sure your model is put together well and that you have done at least some optimization. Also, don’t ask your computer to do too much. Less polygons might not look as detailed, but they will decrease rendering time and thus, decrease strain on your system.

If you are still too worried about damaging your system I suppose you could use a external rendering service but those are not without their own issues and if you are a student, I imagine that budget would be an issue too.