3D Warehouse in SketchUp 2017

Yeah, it was a poor explanation on SketchUp’s part. It sounds like they upgraded the 3D Warehouse code to “comply with more recent versions of Chromium”, but broke the older 2017/2018 versions in the process and then didn’t want to fix it. But then later decided that they could/would fix it.

On another, but related note: it appears that SketchUp will no longer be providing 2017-compatible files via the 3D warehouse as of the end of this month (unless the original model was from 2017 or prior) based on the notice appearing on the warehouse pages.

This is unfortunate, as I still get lots of use out of the free SketchUp Make 2017. I have no idea what percentage of the warehouse models will still be compatible, or whether downloading DAE versions will be a valid workaround. Is there any other discussion about this on the forums?

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything about it yet as it’s a very recent development. That said, I’m sure the discussion will start soon, and I’m sure it will get…spicy :rofl: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use sketchup make 2017, have for years, but I am only a novice user, with no intent on ever making money with my upload content. Mainly, I like something I have and I make it, and if I feel its good enough, then I share it.
Please do not kill something that is not in need of the glue factory, there are many users still using Sketchup Make 2017, for hobbyist purposes.
As to the 3Dwarehouse inside of 2017 and 2018 showing but not allowing direct upload/download, is no big deal as the browser upload/download works fine outside of SketchUp, as I have uploaded and edited those atleast 3x in the past 2 weeks, without incident.
So please keep 2017 downloads even on new stuff active, new uploads by others can inspire and teach by their models even if created by a newer sketchup, but downloadable in the users format.
Thank-you

1 Like