3D Connexion Space Navigator

I am interested in discussing use of these as I am a proud new owner. In particular I would like to know if it can be made to manipulate an object selected within a sketchup model as opposed to navigating through the model, in other words do more than replace the pan and orbit. It does do it in the little puzzle that is part of the included introductory software and would certainly help with positioning objects from the 3D warehouse into the model.

Any thoughts?

Let me know how you get on with navigation when using it; mine is not as smooth as I would like it to be.

The Space Navigator has become an integral tool in my computer setup. I use it primarily with SketchUp. It works well with all the graphic arplications installed on the system.

It’s likely that your proficiencies with this device will increase as you continue to use it. The device performs pan, zoom and rotate functions much faster than a regular mouse, but it takes a while to get familiar with it.

Gadget2020,
if it is not smooth after you think you have it set right it seems like there is something wrong with the computer in that it will not accept continual updates from the device, this can be because of not enough RAM, ■■■■ programs filling up all the RAM {try it after reboot and nothing else running] or otherwise you might just have a dud needing to be sent back for warranty.

jvlleearchitects,
I find it nice to use as to navigating through the model, but is what you call “rotate” what sketchup calls “orbit”? Actual Rotate and Move is what I would like it to do, I just need to find how to select an imported object so the space navigator can manipulate it? Are you able to do that?

I find it nice to use as to navigating through the model, but is what you call “rotate” what sketchup calls “orbit”? Actual Rotate and Move is what I would like it to do, I just need to find how to select an imported object so the space navigator can manipulate it? Are you able to do that?

If it is not smooth after you think you have it set right it seems like there is something wrong with the computer in that it will not accept continual updates from the device, this can be because of not enough RAM or programs filling up all the RAM {try it after reboot and nothing else running] or otherwise you might just have a dud needing to be sent back for warranty.

@Snerktek
Take a look at the video link at this url:
http://www.harwoodpodcast.com/sketchup/sketchup-16-advanced-navigation.html?rq=space%20navigator

Yes, I am able to do these things with the 3d mouse. I reviewed the video that I linked above in order to gain some familiarity with the device when I initially bought it a few years ago and have been using the device with much satisfaction ever since. Also, I should have specifically mentioned that the device allows you to rotate objects as well as orbit around them.

I had a look at that and it may be I dont have the plug in installed, tho I can do everything he shows being done, but he doesn’t show moving an object within his model, eg grab the clock off the wall. I presume there is some command so that the navigator acts on what is selected while the rest of the model stays still but I can not find what it is by researching instruction videos and other materials. Are you able to describe exactly what you do?

By default, the Move tool is assigned keyboard shortcut M
Presumably there’s a way to assign/map certain keystrokes to various buttons on the device.
Try assigning M to one of the buttons.

One might do the same for the Rotate tool, assigned keyboard shortcut Q

I do have move and rotate assigned to buttons on the navigator but they reference what the mouse pointer does, not the navigator. In any event the navigator would be using both those commands at once and you cant have them both selected in sketchup at the same time. There must be someway of selecting the object to be manipulated but normal select does not do it, although it does do it with the practice puzzle that came with the software.

JV Architects, Tell Me The Secret!

I’m probably not the guy with the secret in this case. I can say with certainty that the Space Navigator works for me though. It seems reasonable to expect the performance to be the same as that which you observed in the demo of the device and I have not encountered any anticipated function which has not worked in my experience with the product.

I fear that I may be able to better assist you only if there were an opportunity to stand over your shoulder and monitor your use of the device.

There must be some command or action you do so that the navigator acts on the object and not the whole model. If it can be done it should not be too difficult to describe, I am beginning to think you are teasing me?