2d shapes to make a 3d shape

I have this incredibly simple question that I just can’t find an answer to. I have 6 2D shapes that I want to turn into a 3D box, my new PC, but I’m not able to find anything about it on the net. Flipping around x,y or z doesn’t work. I have made them in Sketchup, but in 2D, top view and no perspective. I can not understand that it should be so difficult to flip 2D shapes from x,y to x,y,z. The bottom I want to flip 90 degrees down around the red line, same with the top, then I want the sides flipped 90 degrees around the green line. Then it shouldn’t take the world to put them together?

1 Like

you actually what to rotate them around axis by 90 deg , not flip them (180 deg), select the object, start rotation tool (hotkey = Q). place @ end point where you require start of rotation, before clicking, click and drag in direction of rotation axis, this will align the correct orientation (inference where required), hold shift to lock then move in required direction, pick another endpoint enter the degree if required.

3 Likes

Here’s a screencast with @pcmoor s steps…

Articulate - The World's Best Creator Platform for Online Workplace Learning

3 Likes

Thanks guys. iked the video Cotty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Ok, I got them together, but they aren’t connected as it looks, they seems to be included in a much largerarea, so when I rotate all the pieces move away from eachother. What have I done? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make sure that all your actions make use of the great inference system of SketchUp (in this case move endpoints to endpoints).

1 Like

Well, that is about 3D objects, it’s not as easy to do it with 2D objects. I actualy don’t have any idea how I was able to turn the pictures, so a detailed explanation would be great. It was probably my way of doing it that made the larger area the box was placed inside.

1 Like

The larger box indicates a group or component. Try exploding it to start.

Hard to tell without the model, but a couple of questions:
-Are your individual 2d elements groups or components? If so, they will attach differently.
-Are the objects displaced in space, or do they actually touch?

Try selecting an element, hit ‘M’ for Move, and grab the corner. Take it to the corner of its mate, so you are aligning points that are supposed to touch. Is there a snap when they attach? That’s the joining.

1 Like