2019 Layout, Can't Relink Sketchup Pro Models, Grayed Out

My coworker is working in Layout. His Sketchup Models unlinked from the Layout file he is using. When he tried to relink them, they were grayed out. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? (See picture below.) I think he might have moved the files from his computer onto Dropbox, and this is when the problem began.

Where were they grayed out?

What version of SketchUp/LayOut? Are you using LayOut on a Mac? Your profile says Windows 10. Your profile also indicates you are using SketchUp Free (Web). Please correct it.

I will edit my post to better reflect my situation.

Based on your screen shot, it would appear the files are locked or otherwise not available. Are these files store on a network drive or in the cloud?

I believe they’re on Dropbox. I think he moved the whole project from his computer to Dropbox. The Sketchup and the Layout files.

So evidently there’s no connection to the files. Maybe a connection problem with Drop Box. Should be able to move the files back to the local drive and continue working. It’s unwise to be working on files directly saved to DropBox. We’ve seen quite a few reports of corrupted files because of hiccups in connection during save or autosave. Best practice would be to keep the files on the computer’s internal drive and work on them from there. If he wants to access them from another computer, he can sync his files to Drop Box but keep the originals locally.

FWIW, I tried a number of times both yesterday and today to upload a zip file to Drop Box. I never got it to upload. Drop Box would report increasingly longer time remaining and then after 15 or 20 minutes, drop the connection at what it said was around 20 seconds left. I’m glad that wasn’t a SketchUp file.

Okay, well I guess that’s the best we can do. Thanks for your help!

Probably a good lesson for multiple back ups. I always have a copy on my computer backed to two locations, as well as Dropbox and a portable drive. Call me paranoid but I first hand witnessed the importance of back ups in 2005…never again.