2017 to 2018 SketchUp Pro Upgrade

Hi fellow SketchUpians!
As I am sure many of us did, I recently received the e-mail prompting me to the upgrade from SketchUp Pro 2017 to SketchUp Pro 2018 which I just installed. Have a couple questions:

The application appears to install as a completely separate program from the 2017 version, versus more of an upgrade to 2017 whereby it would replace the program. Is that correct?

Is the recommendation that I uninstall/delete the 2017 application now or will that cause performance/migration issues?

When I was playing around in the new 2018 version, I noticed I was unable to ‘open recent’ (my 2017 files), or import files into 2018. I have to imagine there is some way of importing my SketchUp Pro 2017 files into the new 2018 edition?

Many thanks!

Justin

Hi, Justin

I don’t think your files are corrupted or anything, and you should certainly be able to open them natively into 2018. Worst case is you may get a message to say that if you save in 2018, you won’t be able to open them again in 2017.

I think maybe your issue may be a case of not being about to “find” your recent files? In which case, you’ll just need to browse your computer when doing a File > Open… until you hit the right directory. (I’m thinking an old directory is assumed that maybe doesn’t exist anymore if you removed 2017.)

Complete guess work here on my part!

yep, as always. Upgrade in the sense of a functional upgrade and not upgrading/replacing the existing former version.

Keep the old version if e.g. incompatibility issues with extensions/plugins rising as well as for a migration at your speed. Don’t deactivate a SU Pro 2017 single user license, you can’t reactivate!

Don’t import SKP documents, just open.

Thanks for the rapid response! Okay I will try this again when I get home tonight. I thought I tried a simple ‘open’, yet all my SketchUp 2017 files appeared to be “grayed-out”.
Steve_gallant may be on to something too albeit I haven’t removed 2017 but maybe the “Open Recent” is not corresponding with the right directory, so some further file exploring may help.

1 Like

The OS (Windows or macOS), not the application, maintains the recently opened list for each application. Because each version of SketchUp installs as an independent application, not as an update to the same app, the OS doesn’t attach 2017’s list to 2018. This is actually a good thing, because if you open a skp with 2018 and save it without explicitly selecting 2017 file format during the save, 2017 will no longer be able to read it. But your files have not been lost, you just have to choose Open and find them on your computer.

1 Like

depends, the list of recently opened documents is managed by SU up to version 2017 internally at "HKCU\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp201#\Recent File List".

Just installed SketchUp 2018. Then found out I need to buy a new license, So uninstalled it
I will continue to use SketchUp 2017.

Draconis

1 Like

Yes, that seems to be the way of the world here, and especially at Google. My regular 2017 license expires in February, 2018, so our friends at Sketchup have ensured that we ‘get ready’ with 2018 skills before we actually MUST buy our new licenses! In my case, I installed 2018 a little early, so I won’t be able to use it all the way until my 2017 license expires, therefore requiring me to purchase my new license earlier than I would have, and earlier than I really needed to.
The new way of commerce… It’s like slowing down all the old iPhones to force everyone to spend up to a 10th of the cost of a new car to buy a new CELL PHONE!!!
Sketchup is pretty good, but since I am an ‘educational’ user, my price is about what the general public SHOULD be expected to pay for such an incredibly distributed application! Especially one that still has quite a ways to go…
Happy New Year!

What does Google have to do with this?

And for that you blame Trimble (hasn’t been Google for over 5 years)? It is obviously impossible to sync the release date of a SketchUp version to each user’s individual license date. So it is up to you to decide when you want to install the new (unlicensed trial period) version to try it out.

But you don’t have to uninstall or deactivate 2017 to install and try out 2018. They can both be installed and run at the same time. Nobody is requiring you to purchase anything before you are ready.

The only risk is that you need to remember to save any files you edit in 2018 back as 2017 format so you can continue to work on them between the time your free trial expires and when you do purchase a license for 2018.

2 Likes

NO, your SU support + maintenance expires on that date, not your current software licence, which never expires…

as part of the annual package you can ‘Upgrade’ to SU 2018 for free, but you need to add it’s licence…

you don’t need to update the annual package until it expires…

john

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.