SketchUp runs slowly in Windows 10, any ideas?

What I did was disregard the upgrade and uninstalled the updates that Windows provided pertaining to WIN 10. I have not heard anything positive or more like how it has “improved the performance” of any other software package running on it. Also it is not their responsibility too, they realize that Smart TV and hand held devices will fill there pockets. There hearts (pockets) are setting the trends that are easiest for themselves to maintain and harvest. And lazy consumers are eating it up. I dont think they care if everyone with Sketch Up on a PC switched to a Mac, while keeping ALL the Netflix (millions) HAPPY. Heard they sell an app. that makes your living room smell like popcorn!!

I think you paint an accurate picture. Profit seekers need product, so once someone develops something worthwhile, they squeeze it for every cent, and ‘tweak’ it for the masses, who mostly don’t use their computers for anything but entertainment.

But there is a rift among users: It seems to me that people with years of computer experience and who understand the basic parts and functions of one, and have professional aspirations that they must use a computer, seek out a different market than the WalMart crowd. Certainly HP with it’s line of ‘Elite’ mobile workstations addresses this market, and any ‘puter company that embraces gamers, like Dell will have some ‘built for speed, not for fun or comfort’, machines too. My favorite but I’ve yet to buy a machine from them is eurocom.com. They sell laptops without Operating Systems (optional) or serious disc drives. They figure that your file system will be too large and complex to save locally anyway, so the drive they include on the machine is just for the machine to run, almost like a level II Swap File, if you’re familiar with Windows FAT32 and all of that. Super fast processor, latest video cards and software, and great, big screens. Some
machines have two video cards, because the ‘good’ one takes too much resources for ‘normal’ computing so they include an extra 500 MB or so card for regular computing tasks. One of my pet peeves, is the decreasing tactile response from keyboards due to incessant ‘slimming’ of the machines’ profile. Eurocom pretty much ignores the ‘style’ part, they’re machines are big, clunky, and stupid looking like the first Japanese car imports. I’ve yet to try one, but from the images you can see an older style keyboard with keys that have profiles.

The next question is one computer or two? SketchUp for architecture almost demands mobile computing, at some point you have to make site visits and you should bring something to either record or distribute data. A lap top is still my 1st choice, but they have to be bright and fast. A used Eurocom with an 18" screen can be both for about $1000. I’m saving for one, this 8 year old Dell desktop just told me (Dells website) that it doesn’t support Windows 10. There aren’t any driver upgrades for anything in the Device Manager that’s older, like the WiFi card (antenna circuit board) etc. Used to be you buy a new 'puter and you have to negotiate an upgrade for the OS. Now you get a ‘free’ OS, and have to buy a new computer.

Good advice. I just discovered that my 7 year old Dell (Studio Slim/Desktop) doesn’t support driver upgrades for Windows 10. I was looking for the upgrade for Dells’ Mini-Wifi port adapter and was told it doesn’t exist.

When I installed Windows 10, (from memory) there were a few options to not install things, or afterwards, to uninstall some ‘Apps’ that were pinned to the Start Menu. I deleted the ‘store’ and all the ‘social networking’ apps, plus I read about some new service Microsoft has dreamt up, similar to bit-torrent protocols (or the same thing) that requires permission to run. It collects little bits of data from thousands of computers and sends and reassembles programs and such, requiring that you configure your machine to imitate a Freeway Cloverleaf, or facsimile. I remember killing that during installation.

One very annoying thing was an advertising ‘pop up’ that tried to sell me the MS Office Suite. Kill the store.

I installed Windows 10 under Parallels yesterday. When I first used a fresh install of SketchUp Make 2015 the Orbit tool acted as if the shift key was stuck, I could only pan, but a press of the shift key fixed that. Textures also go away while orbiting, is that normal in the Windows version?

Anyway, even under an emulator the performance seemed ok. It was also nice to get back to natural scrolling for a change, which still doesn’t work on Mac.

All of the experimentation with installing and using Win10 is appreciated. I hope that everyone who has upgraded will ultimately feel that this OS has been an improvement. This does not yet appear to be the case. Most of the comments/reviews don’t provide a strong enough inducement for me to make the leap.

I would not have upgraded if i didn’t have two computers, both running SketchUp Pro and Windows 7, so I could carry on regardless of how the upgrade goes. And I’m glad I did, because from what I’ve discovered in three days after upgrading one machine, is that I either need some new hardware, or I should wait for more driver upgrades to be written.

But it’s inevitable. One day we’ll all be using it, so the sooner the better, is my attitude about learning how to use it.

I have a SpaceNavigator and a three button mouse, I’m so used to the Space Nav now, that modeling with only the mouse is taxing. The Space Nav migrated to the new Windows 10 OS without trouble, which is very good, because the devices are tricking under any circumstances. The 3dConnexion/SpaceNav website says that new drivers are pending, but the old seems to work ok anyway. I think there was a May 2015 driver upgrade for Windows 7 that I needed, and is working now in Windows 10.

Biggest problem with Windows 10 today, is Internet speed. My laptop is getting 17 mps download speed, but the Windows 10 Dell Desktop machine is getting about 1 or 2 mbs., which is like dial up. The problem is probably Dell machines’ mini wifi adapter, (antenna) that is the bottle neck/restriction, and which doesn’t have an upgrade available. Obsolete.

You should look for connection problems. I just tested Windows 10 Internet speed, and the results were the same as testing from Mac OS (about 58 mbps down, 73 mbps up).

That’s good news about the Space Navigator. Like you, I also use this along with a 3 button mouse and yes, I suppose that inevitably I will upgrade too…it’s just that I am reluctant to “fix what ain’t broke.”

Hello …

I have been using win 10 now for nearly 6 months… be it in trials and regular use… I have spent weeks in trying to get Sketchup to run for more than 3 - 10 minutes without a “Bug Splat”… The Compatibility Settings Don’t Work!.. regardless of which you use!... But Today… I have tried something new and so far “No Splat’s”…

1. In your Extensions … Un-check All you do Not Use! even the basic Sketchup Defaults…
  2. The Main Problem is… OpenGL… in System Preferences…
  3. Un-check ALL 3 of these…
  4. Un-check… Use Hardware Acceleration…
  5. Un-check… Use Maximum Texture Size…
  6. Un-check… Use Fast Feedback…
  7. Go to your Desktop Sketchup icon… and right click and Properties select Compatibility Tab… and make sure you do not have the “Compatible with Box Ticked!” … with any earlier versions of Window’s… only view should be you last version of Window’s … eg: win 7 or 8… and Not Ticked!..

Restart your PC and start Sketchup… go to menu bar at the top and select “Window”… Select “Preferences”… That’s where you will find OpenGL… and while you are there!.. Change “AutoSave” down to 3 minutes…

Working for me…

Lyn Poddley

Poddley Tales Euro…

1 Like

Lyn, your profile does not say which build you are running 32-bit or 64-bit ?

You issues are most likely due to AMD/ATI Graphics. The R7 A8 series are quite low on the list at passmark.
[url]http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon+R7+A8-7600&id=3007[/url]

Currently SketchUp 2015 32-bit runs better, and crashes less, with AMD/ATI cards.
(It seems their 64-bit drivers may have issues with OpenGL.)

Make sure to send in all BugSplat reports with you username so they can be looked up in the database. The more splats for an issue, the higher on the fix list the issue gets.

Just bought a new computer, Dell Inspiron 7000 with an AMD Radeon R7 M270 craphics card and Windows 10 Installed. Installed Sketchup 2015 and aside from small icons seemed to work. Had a problem with getting on the internet using WiFi so updated windows 10 as recommended. Now Sketchup splash screen comes up but after clicking start using stops responding. Have tried everything from removing the software and re-installing to trying to download and install the 32 bit version. I am thinking it’s a graphics card issue but never get a chance to set preferences.

Any thoughts

Bud

See the new split-off topic:
[Win] Setting Preferences > OpenGL switches off via batch script

DanRathburn:

Thanks for the reply. Worked

Thanks

Bud

I’m using Win 10 and SketchUp now without trouble. Windows 10 has a lot of “overhead” which is typical of Microsoft. We used to write a file in MS Word and save it under Windows 98 or any older Operating System then re-save the same file under the latest Windows OS (I was a software tech at Compaq computer co) and compare saved file sizes. The newer OS file sizes are always much bigger, more than twice the number of KB’s. That’s because MS always lets their marketing department cut deals with other companies who then decimate the new OS with their ‘add-ons’. Facebook, twitter, get rid of it all. There are a dozen other ‘services’ that are basically tethers to your wallet, offering services that have monthly costs associated.

When installing the OS, un-check or skip everything that’s not related to building a house. You can ruin the installation process, MS tries to trick you into installing things so get ready for a few adjustments. It’s good to have two computers, I bought a really nice HP Elite (their mobile workstation) that was 8 years old for $200. It has Windows 7 Home Pro on it and my main machine, a Dell desktop now has Windows 10. When one crashes, it’s much easier to recover with both available.

Trouble with two computers is the filing system nomenclature. It’s very difficult to remember where everything is when you have two file directories, one on each machine. Naming conventions become critical and it’s easy to have two files with the same name it gets very un-productive. I suggest you think about how to name files so what’s in them is obvious, regardless of where they reside. Matt Donley’s book emphasizes organization and the more I study of his coursware, the more I realize how true it is. My problem with SketchUp is that I’m always ‘hopeful’ some process will ‘work’. It always works if you know the routine and you navigate through the program with confidence. Through good organization, you can execute with military precision, few or no surprises and under control. Windows 10 works very well once you learn about, find and throw out all the ‘free loading’ programs and ‘apps’.

My 3d Connexion space navigator (I can never remember which one I have, they have about three with names derived from the same four words, a good case of poor naming) accepted a driver upgrade, I don’t know if it was Wind 10 related or just overdue. The Dell ‘Mini-wi-fi adapter’, which is a USB antenna for the wi-fi did not and will not support Windows 10 which pissed me off. Solution there was to hard wire the Dell desktop with a Cat5 cable directly to the router. Internet speed went up to 250 mbs range but I lost mobility which I don’t care about for this desktop machine. Besides, I still have the HP Elite laptop for mobility. (And my wife just gave me her old i-pad)

Believe me, all this device connection business is a lot easier than it was 15 years ago.

We’ve been using ClassicShell on our two Windows 8.1 notebooks to add back in a Windows 7-like StartMenu (along with other goodies.) The newest version 4.2.4 supports Windows 10. I will likely also install it on my Windows 7 notebook as it’s user options put the out-of-the-box MS StartMenu to shame.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I’ve seen pics of the Win10 StartMenu and it really isn’t. (It’s looks like a quarter-size Win8 startpage.) When I am forced to upgrade to Win10, I will absolutely run ClassicShell on it. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps trying to push these “active” mobilish tile interfaces upon desktop users.

If you don’t know about it, the Win-X menu is convenient and useful.

Yes, I know about that, and ClassicShell can work without taking that away. (Full control over what mouse buttons & modifier keys display what menu.)

Yes, touch screens and everything they do is counter productive. They’re for teenage gossipers, not accurate production environments. Just touching any screen is counter to what it’s for.