SketchUp 2016 is here!

Tommy – Thanks for the feedback - awesome support.

Anssi – Again, thanks for the answers.

1 Like

Thanks for acknowledging my feedback. I suppose at this point, full resolution independence won’t be something to expect until at least next year.

Right now, I care more about SketchUp being usable on a high dpi display than I do about the UI scaling properly (even with correctly sized buttons, I’ve found the program still isn’t usable on a high dpi display) Is there any way I can get SU 2016 to run at half it’s normal resolution? Could this be introduced in a patch as a temporary fix?

@Clayton – You’re summary and response is deeply appreciated and useful. I’m glad to hear that your pleased with some of the improvements that we’ve made. And, of course, there’s always room to improve, and feedback like yours helps us decide which direction to go.

Heya Peter. I believe I sent this link to you in PM, but I wanted to share it with the larger group as well. We released a video tutorial on the new inferencing changes, which you can see in this YouTube video. I hope it helps.

There isn’t a way to change the drawing window resolution in SketchUp. A very unsexy workaround is to increase the display scale in Windows.

Hi @Charly-

Were you able to get LayOut running on your computer? It sounds like you may have a damaged version of the software - I would suggest downloading a new copy from the official SketchUp site and installing again. In this situation it’s best to remove your old copy before installing the new one.

Thanks,
Marc

I’m well aware of this (when I switch to 4K, I increase it by 200%.), but (aside from the aforementioned UI elements in v. 2016) display scaling seems to have no effect on SU. This has been an issue for some time now, I think.

I downloaded the dmg file and opened it, but what came up doesn’t look like the example with just the program and the arrow to the applications folder. I has a lot of images of various folders, documents, the logo, an arrow, etc. in no rational order. I dumped the file and tried downloading again, but it came up with the same result when the dmg opened. Any suggestions? Never had this kind of thing happen when downloading a dmg for an app before.

That is certainly strange…Your profile says OS X 10.8.5. I wonder if Apple changed something since then that affects opening this dmg? It opens as advertised on my 10.11.1 installation.

Do you have some sort of show invisible files feature turned on? Or accidentally do a Clean Up By action on the folder?

If anybody know that the Vray 2.0 with the update works with Skchetup 16?

If you install SketchUp 2016 on the same computer like the previous version, there won’t be any license issue’s.
Is it true?

A SketchUp license is specific to a version, so if you are hoping that your 2015 license will activate 2016, sorry, no. You will need to get a 2016 license. But if you are asking whether multiple versions of SketchUp can run on the same computer, the answer is definitely yes.

1 Like

Thank you Marc. Problem is solved. I just had to turn off security, launch the software, then turn on security and now it works perfectly.

By the way, could you please tell me where I can find information about the novelties in this Sketchup and Layout 2016 version?

Thanks and regards,

Charles

news- scroll down
release notes

Hi Charly-

Thanks for reporting back. We’ll keep an eye on this.

-Marc

I am really enjoying the new layout but am having a problem importing any models from the 3d warehouse. They all come with lines showing all the curves of the surface? I try to soften it and it doesn’t help? Also why can’t I hide components? It just makes them appear in wireframe? Thanks for your help in advance, I really enjoy this software.

It sounds like you have Hidden Geometry turned on. Go to the View menu and un-check the Hidden Geometry option.

1 Like

Yes! Thank you. It seems each time an update is done a learn a little something about the software. Perfect!

Hi Aeyaros

From your experience has there been any improvement in support in SU 2016 for 4K displays over SU 2015? Is the UI, in particular the dimensions box on the bottom right still unreadable.

To be honest this is the only really I would consider ungrading as scaling back my display to 1080p really disimproves the clarity.

Thanks

If you scroll back up through the thread, I addressed this in a prior post back in November.

Honestly, the biggest usability issue comes from the fact that the drawing window itself doesn’t scale up, so things like drawing and inferencing are difficult to do without squinting. Because of the recent UI improvements, SU 2016 is indeed better on 4K; it certainly isn’t any worse. The program still isn’t fully resolution independent; because I use it frequently, my display has been scaled back to 1080p simply to accommodate it. :frowning: Hopefully these issues will be fixed by the release of SU 2017, if not earlier. I’m sure the team is well aware of all this.

1 Like

I understand it’s saying the elements within the drawing window/UI aren’t scaled yet, but might it possible to get the entire drawing window upscaled by, say, 200% when SU detects a high DPI display? This would literally solve all my problems. For doing actual work in SketchUp, I don’t really need the 3D model to be displayed at an extremely high resolution; it just slows things down anyway.