Geolocation blurry + 3D Warehouse stops working

Whenever I attempt to add a new Geolocation the following message pops up:
“You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser.”
Note that I currently use the latest versions of both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
After I grab the desired location, the result is always an extremely blurry low-resolution image, which totally frustrates me.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this issue?
Last but not least, SketchUp keeps assuming that I’m working offline all the time/am not connected to the Internet…
Thank you very much indeed. :v:

Update: My 3D Warehouse stopped working.

We began warning people in our most recent release of 3dwarehouse (which is where add location comes from) that IE8 support is going away. SketchUp uses the platform-blessed WebKit per OS: IE on PC, Safari on Mac. Win7 came with IE8 but supports IE11. Please upgrade IE. Or dismiss.

@Barry I have Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 8.1. And yes, I did dismiss it, but still it remained blurry. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hmm… well, it shouldn’t have been possible on Win 8.1. I’ll find a box and try it myself. Did you Dismiss BEFORE you grabbed the location?

@Barry Yes, I have.

Someone here just pointed out to me that that’s not our message, that’s Google’s message. You can read about it more here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/getting-message-that-ie-browser-is-not-supported/be916dc1-b8a8-4967-a2fe-eab537e47fea

IE11 is supported (see Browser Support  |  Maps JavaScript API  |  Google Developers), but as the Microsoft article points out, it’s probably something to do with misreading the userAgent. If there’s any way you could hit ctrl-l in the add location window, and go to http://www.whatsmyua.com/ (what’s my userAgent), and past it, that’d be helpful.

I’ve just started getting the same message

Although I can still use geolocation as normal. (My images are not blurry). Also the 3D/extension warehouses work fine in sketchup and in IE.
I’m on Windows 10, IE 11 updated to the latest version.
My user agent is showing “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0) SketchUp/16.1 (PC)”
I’ve gone through all the steps on this help page which didn’t help: Can’t connect to web tools

@Barry I just followed your instructions.

{
“ua”: “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; MASEJS) SketchUp/16.1 (PC)”,
“browser”: {
“name”: “IE”,
“version”: “9.0”,
“major”: “9”
},
“engine”: {
“version”: “7.0”,
“name”: “Trident”
},
“os”: {
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “8.1”
},
“device”: {},
“cpu”: {
“architecture”: “amd64”
}
}

It said 9.0 in SketchUp when I followed your instructions, while I possess Internet Explorer 11.0, which I think is really odd.

I see the same message at the top of the Add Location window but after dismissing it, it doesn’t create any issues as far as image sharpness. I tested it on the paint on an airport runway.

Since we know it’s not SketchUp but instead Google generating the message, hopefully Google will have an answer soon.

Maybe IE goes into some sort of compatibility mode. For my own web dialogs I always use a meta tag to tell IE to use the most recent browser version. I don’t know how this is handled for SU native web dialogs that shows external web services.

1 Like

On a Win8 box, I got the same message, dismissed, and it worked. We’ll see if we can do a different mode on IE, but for your use, it should work.

So yet another unnecessary extra click. Any plans to get rid of the imbecilic “by adding a location” monolog someday? At this rate, in a couple more years I’ll be able to beat Minesweeper with fewer clicks than geolocating something in Sketchup.

{
“ua”: “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0) SketchUp/16.1 (PC)”,
“browser”: {
“name”: “IE”,
“version”: “9.0”,
“major”: “9”
},
“engine”: {
“version”: “7.0”,
“name”: “Trident”
},
“os”: {
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “8.1”
},
“device”: {},
“cpu”: {
“architecture”: “amd64”
}
}

I have IE 11 and I’m still getting this message, and when i try to switch to something like Google Chrome it doesn’t actually change it. Is anybody else having similar issues?