You think your kitchen shelf, counters, and cabinets design is finished...but

And monospaced…I expect a Happy… post from you next year on Diane’s birthday!

I’m not here to fight, but of course they do. It removed perspective and aids in creating standard elevations. I honestly don’t know how else you would do it.

I don’t know what you are referring to. Sorry.

Here are two ways to resize a cabinet. I could have made it more dramatic, but you see the stiles on the end of the box are not the correct width any longer when you use the scale tool. So things get distorted when you use the scale tool to resize something like this. So choose the method you like best.
Videos that say you can’t resize are just wrong. I would not be using SketchUp if that were the case.

Parallel Projection setting for the Camera allows orthographic views when used with the “Standard Views” (also in the Camera Menu). When printed to scale this can create the standard side and top and isometric drawings that building trades have used for years.

LayOut allows you to more easily scale, annotate and publish the same views you make in SketchUp. It doesn’t change the view (well it can but you can set the right view in SketchUp).

The first edit can be done in one move with Stretch by Area by Tak2hata at SketchUcation. It does for SketchUp what Wild Tools’ Move Points does for PowerCADD.

1 Like

Birthday: The only way you would know about my wife’s involvement in this design are those two or three posts I made when I said I’d have to take a day off from using SketchUp cause of her birthday that day. (not important, sorry)

Parallel Projection: Thanks pbacot: I kind of see that now that if I pair Parallel Projection with the views (or Camera/Standard Views) menus.and move the drawing using the shift key/wheel only.

Regarding LayOut: Is there a LayOut associated with Make (SketchUp 2017)? When I try and bring it up I get the following: image which refers to a trial version of SketchUp Pro that ran out at least 10 days ago. I have never brought up or used Layout.(I did however, when I closed the window, just get a Tip of the Day - for the first time ever) titled “Need Help with LayOut”)

Let me try to explain. Mono just pointed out that you mentioned a “client” and this was possibly a paid job. I responded to note that this is your personal job-- thinking the only “client” might be your wife. That’s all I meant -ATM , maybe you’d be going Pro later.
(and then I reflected that remodels can be stressful… etc.) No offense intended.

Please (all of you) do not apologize. This forum has the most capable, enthusiastic, and patient people I’ve ever encountered on a software forum. SketchUp, though frustrating, is totally addictive–to the point where in another program, I’ve had the experience of wondering , when I click on something and move my mouse I: “why didn’t that move???” (by the way, the whole click and then move (without holding the button down) the mouse is a throwback to some early graphics/mouse programs).
Before building my house (I’m now retired) I designed it and drew it up completely so as to satisfy CA building requirements–so maybe you can see why it’s so frustrating dealing with SketchUp.
By the way, has SketchUp been used to draw and submit plans (that have been submitted to the authorities) for an actual building construction? (examples?)

Sure. Many people on this forum have examples. Myself I use it for elevations that are part of the submittals. I link to Nick Sonders as an example because he wrote the book (actually and figuratively), an architect in California. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTtB8XeJuhs

Here is a recent thread about people using SketchUp and Layout, start to finish. Architects/Design Builders

I would guess most architects, designers, and builders who use SketchUp also use other software as well to finish construction drawings. There are probably no statistics about this.

1 Like

Thanks. A lot of links have been provided to me and I need to review them all. In other words, I have a lot to read, But I also need to continue with the drawing I’ve totally messed up. I’m going to post a new one “disappearing objects” to ask about something I brought up earlier on this post with a copy of my (now I need to apologize) file.

@Ccaponigro talks about Curic Stretch

It’s a good plugin to quickly modify a project.

Another very interesting and complementary plugin is Fredo Box Stetching (Fredo Scale tools)

Fredo Box Stretching  2

Fredo Box Stretching

1 Like

I use Fredo box stretching. You have to be cognizant of what it does to your components. You might get some surprises at first. Great time saver.

I’ve experienced the same problem. What I did was create a library file with all of the basic cabinets I use and made them dynamic components. You can program just about any change you want to make, width, height, depth, number of shelves, finished ends, double or single doors, etc. It takes some time to create but you only have to do it once. Afterwards just copy a cabinet and paste it into a new job file, then if it needs to be changed later it’s just a matter of opening the Component Options dialog and make whatever change you’ve programmed for that cabinet. Simple.

The correct way to resize cabinets is shown on the left half of @pbacot’s video above. The only thing I would do differently is make the shelves part of the cabinet component,rather than a separate one.

Sketchup alone cannot produce construction drawings, but with LayOut it definitely can. Have soothing music and a gallon of chamomile tea at the ready.