Will this be sufficient? New Laptop

Just bought a “2nd” laptop on sale. I’m tired of packing up my current laptop every time I travel between locations so I want a 2nd laptop. Before I open and set up I wanted to make sure It’s good for SU. I’ll be using a monitor so the size of the screen doesn’t matter. I model decks and screen porches and then send to Layout for plans. I can buy the same one I have (refurbished) for $100 more than the one I just bought so Im curious if its worth it.

I use this now.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop PC, 15.6" FHD IPS w/ 144Hz Refresh, Intel i7-8750H, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, Aeroblade Metal Fans PH315-51-78NP

New Purchase Asus

• 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12650H (10-Core) Processor
  • 16GB DDR5 4800MHz RAM

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)

Drives:

• 512GB PCIe® 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive

Graphics & Video:

• 15.6" IPS Anti-Glare WQHD (2560 x 1440) 165Hz Display
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050, 4GB

Communications:

• Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (2x2/160) Gig + and Bluetooth® 5.2
  • Integrated 720p HD Webcam
  • 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN

The “I use this now” model should be OK if your models are not enormous. The one listed as “new purchase Asus” would probably be noticeably faster (newer-generation CPU and GPU). Usually, new hardware won’t solve lagging issues due to bloated models, though.

1 Like

I agree with @Anssi. I don’t keep up with the details of various CPU models and speeds, so I don’t know the differences between the CPU

Your “New Purchase Asus” has these definite improvements over the “I use this now”:

• Same amount of main memory - but “New” is DDR5 while “use now” is DDR4 - and that’s an improvement.
  • “New” solid state disk drive is twice the size of “use now”

But … it has LESS GPU memory - 4GB on “New” vs 6GB on “use now” - it’s possible this will slow things down - especially if you routinely work on high edge and face count models. But adjusting your modeling flow for more compact models when you have ridiculously large models is usually a more effective approach than throwing money at the problem through more GPU memory - as @Anssi said.

I also don’t keep up on current GPU offerings. I THINK the RTX 3050 is more capable and/or faster than the GTX 1060 - but don’t take my work on that!

1 Like

Thanks. I have been satisfied with 1st laptop so I guess Im good with new.