Why is the sketchup material folder empty in my MAC?

When I went to my default SketchUp material folder “/Users/signergy/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Materials”.
Its empty. Can anyone tell me where to find those materials?

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Materials/ is where materials that you make get stored, unless you’ve set a custom location.

/Applications/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Materials is where the standard materials are.

2 Likes

Both the folders have no contents in them. Arey they hidden or is anything wrong?

Open up the material picker by invoking the paint tool, click on the brick icon across the top to see the materials. in the drop down menu do you have the stock materials available?

Yes, stock materials are available.

Then perhaps you are looking at the wrong folder on the HD. No problem then? All is well.

1 Like

But I don’t understand why am I not able to find material files in the materials folder?

The stock materials Folder is hidden inside the app as it’s not meant to be accessed.

Copy the following text and then open spotlight (macOS magnifying glass upper right) and paste it in to see the actual folder. Double click on the folder in spotlight and it will open.

/Applications/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Materials

Careful about messing around with resource files in there.

:star_struck: Found it. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

The above in your article was Sketchup 2017 and maybe 2018, does NOT exist on my computer. Is it not click on App-Sketchup 2020 Hold down control key. Show Package Contents-Contents>Resources>Content>Materials>

I suspect you did something wrong along the way.

• Use Finder to navigate to /Applications/SketchUp 2020/
  • In that folder hold control while you click on SketchUp.app. That should open the Contents folder in Finder
  • Continue from there to Resources/Content/Materials

In column view you should then see the below. If you don’t, there is something wrong with your installation of SketchUp.

Yep, worked for me. Library(HD) no longer houses the support app folder in new systems.