Why do software developers feel compelled to fix what ain't broke?

I agree 100%. Changing he icons was a waste of resources and a step backward. I can’t stand them. Did they bother to have a test group try them out before the release?

I do use hotkeys for the more common tools, but not all and not all the time.

They should have been fixing actual problems with the software that were introduced with 2023 version or any number of lingering bugs that have been around for years… (dynamic components in the “/User” directory anyone?, or the quirky text attribute interface in Layout, etc…)

If they really want to redesign icons, how about redesigning the SketchUp and Layout icons so they don’t look nearly identical? I launch the wrong program continuously because they look almost the same…

1 Like

Being constrained to use only one style of UI can be quite disconcerting to say the least. If Trimble finds that the UI needs a refresh, here’s a couple of things that Trimble could do to “modernize” their software:

1. Add a dark mode. Most every piece of software allows a dark mode.

2. Port over some of that beautiful MAC UI interface to Windows, such as material selection, and more specifically, when choosing colors from the color palette.

(As a sidenote, I’ll be honest and say that I have seriously considered making the switch to a Mac, due to how much better the UI looks and functions on a Mac, rather than Windows.)

Getting back to icons, virtually every popular software developer has changed their primary icon set to something different, a sign of the times I suppose, but offering choices to the user, makes the software more appealing.

After using SU with the latest update that includes the new icon set, I have to admit that I still struggle to find certain commands. For me, I think it’s due to the combination of the blue shapes with the red dots. Granted, I primarily work off of a laptop, so screen real estate is at a premium and with that, I have to opt out of using the large toolset. As a result, the icons are smaller. Maybe my case is part of a very small percentage of users that Trimble didn’t take into account.

Are we going to get used to this new scheme? Perhaps, but what happens when Trimble decides to change the icons again?

As far as we know, dark mode is in the pipes, first they wanted to switch the framework to QT (source of so many 2023 bugs)
Also, the mac version should see some redesign thanks to QT again to finally look like the pc one.

Aren’t we already used to it? Took me a week, but for the pro users who also use web/ipad it was likely quicker.

And considering the previous red-brown scheme was more than 10-12 years old, the chances that trimble changes icons again just for fun are really slim. And still, in a decade when they do, we’ll adapt. Because that’s what we do.

Don’t we?

No :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Well the next decade will be rough then.

It will indeed – my age related eyesight is bad enough without the visual assault of these new cursor icons :sob:

“visual assault”…well put. :laughing:

I too suffer from diminished visual acuity, so anything program I work with that has a dark mode option , I turn it on, otherwise I feel like I’m witnessing a nuclear test, such as the case with SU. The new icons sure don’t help, and I suspect the color choices may have hinged on catering to those with color blindness. To be honest and just as an example of inoffensive UI schemes, the one that AutoDesk uses for their icons are much easier on the eyes and still convey the command usage to the user.

We have the option to change, create or utilize styles in SU, which is a blessing in that of itself. I tend to stick with toned down shades of grey to help offset the “visual assault”, as well as setting lower brightness settings on my monitor, but that comes at a price, since I do quite a lot of renders. The decreased brightness lends itself to dimmer rendering results, which in turn, others say the images are too dark, so unfortunately, necessary evils are at play.

Maybe dark mode will save our eyes.

I don’t know, but readability studies confirm that generally the eye sees dark symbols on a light background more accurately than in the reverse case. It might be different for people with some vision impairments.

1 Like