Why can I not find my layers in SU 2020

I would never create different views within the same scene/layout. I dont use Layout so my understanding of it’s requirements and terms may be flawed.
As you know, in a construction set different sheets/views would require different titles, sheet numbers etc so different configurations within the same sheet are not really useful unless the title etc would change with the view and even if they can be changed I would still need each sheet to exist independently. How would you produce a full set without cooking some sheets and then being required to go back in and change views and titles and numbers to cook the rest? I hope I am missing something because that would be a huge fault in the program.
If i want a different view i would simply copy and or create a different sheet with it’s own title etc, but I dont use Layout.
The few times I considered creating a detail or a dimensioned drawing in SU I found the annotations and results inferior and not at all up to my standards. I believe there may be a way to control that but once again my motivation has been destroyed by all the eclectic non-intuitive moves.

More detail is up to you the program does not create details.
I would love to see one of your products.

Sonder has nice products! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have found Layers in Trimble Connect:

The new 3D Viewer comes with a manual:
https://community.trimble.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1928-1-14376/Trimble+Connect+for+Browser+User+Guide+-+June+2020.pdf

Blasphemer! Layers are profane. All hail the new god Tag!
He He, thanks. I guess the cross platform communication at Trimble is not so good.

It’s a concession to end users who still work with the old system…

I don’t think you are understanding how the new tag feature works in LO, since you don’t use it. A quick example would be creating one scene in SU for say a floor plan. In LO you creat a viewport and select that scene. You could then create 4 copies of that viewport and select different tags for each, effectively creating 4 scenes in LO from one in SU.

You can see some samples of my CD’s on my website here: www.nicksonder.com

Go to the deliverable page and scroll down to construction documents.

3 Likes

There will be some time where people still refer to layers since many customers, including myself, are still using old versions of the software.

Sonder,

Great website. I am not sure if it aimed at prospective clients, but the transparency of process is refreshing to see in any architecture practice.

https://www.nicksonder.com/construction-documents-1

1 Like

It’s the most important aspect of our service. Too many focus just on the pretty deliverable of the finished product instead of showing how you got there.

1 Like

And thank you very much. It is in need of an update with more projects and imagery.

That does not make sense. So I would create a Tag that represents a configuration of on and off Tags?
Would that normally be called a layer state? Are Tags Layer states? I thought they were replacing layers not states of multiple layers. If it was not possible to control the layer states in Layout before why would anyone use it, oh maybe that is why i never use it. I do not have one reason but if I noticed that it would have driven me away. If that is the motivation for the change then I understand it and am also astounded it was not possible before.

I’ll be doing a video soon that shows the process. It not only makes sense, it’s extremely efficient. Since you don’t use LO, it’s a little difficult to get across other than what I already posted.

For a window detail as an example I can set up 6 scenes in SU…that covers head/jamb/sill for interior and exterior. Then through the use of tags (formerly layers) I can set up multiple options for different trim conditions and materials without making scenes for every condition. In LO I can turn those 6 scenes into 48 details, all oriented and shadowed/fogged identically by simple controlling the tags (formerly layers) inside LO.

You would use tags the same as you used layers before. To set the visibility of certain things at any given time in a scene or scenes.

You see, layers imply there is something above or below something else. That is incredibly misleading because it isn’t true. Tags is a better word because it better describes what is happening.

For example if you have a model with furniture and you want to show a floor plan alone, you can view a scene and turn off the furniture tag. In layout you can turn the tags visibility on and off as well to show it with and without furniture. All from the same scene. And best of all it doesn’t interfere with layers in layout which are actual stacking layers.

Well i do not think anyone sees layers as meaning superposition describers anymore even though that is the actual definition.
I actually opened LO just now and I see the 2nd use of “layer” so really SU is finally cleaning up one it’s bad past decisions.
Ok fine . . . and the roll out was poorly managed.

You’d be surprised.

People also think that layers will keep geometry from interfering with geometry on another layer, as is the case in other software that uses layers. Tags helps in curbing that concept.

LO is also much better than the last time I opened it. (5 years ago)
Most of my problems with SU are also slowly being solved which is of course great.
It is also part of my frustration because the earlier versions were not so good and that drove me away.
I wish I was learning SU from 0 all over again because it is now a very different program and I need to de-learn what I used to know about it.

2 Likes

For every new release or update to SketchUp Pro there is communication going out. Read those to stay on track:

SketchUp 2020 is here! (see topic Updates to your SketchUp dictionary)

We keep a history of changes since v2 here:

https://www.design8.eu/en/design-software/sketchup-pro (scroll down)

2 Likes

Yes you are doing better documentation than SU.
So Design8 is a 3rd party company?
The training and software look interesting but since you have priced it for corporate clients you will never see me there. I will look at the free info.
400/day for an online, pre programmed session s a joke right?
Thanks

I would disagree wholeheartedly. SketchUp’s release notes are far more thorough.

Yes.

The training wasn’t suggested to you.

Not really. It’s a good hourly rate for custom 1-on-1 training for a full day.