Why can I not find my layers in SU 2020

That’s not how to use them, though. They don’t separate geometry and don’t operate like Photoshop. They are now “tags” so you can set the visibility of designated geometry.

The previous use of “layers” gave people the very wrong impression that they operated like layers in other software, exactly like you’re describing. But it’s that misunderstanding that necessitated the change in word to “tags.” These aren’t layers, they’re tags. Simply putting some geometry on a “tag” doesn’t keep it from interfering with other geometry.

Thanks TIG i will drill through this later.
I would never use a universal edge layer.
Do some people do that?

Check my recent posts the release note is a huge file.

Well that is what they should change. The whole sticky thing is the biggest joke in the industry.
I will think about this more later. If you are grouping then the stickyness does not happen so why over design and let people not group? That seems counter to the intention and necessity of grouping.
Once again over complicating things and over designing for no purpose.
I hand files back and forth between CAD and SU so I need that congruence.
How does this change affect the import / export to CAD?
Thanks

I disagree, seeing as changing the word is far easier than fundamentally changing the way SketchUp has always worked. The word “layer” was the root of the confusion you experienced, so they changed it to tags in hopes people would stop assuming they are the same as Photoshop layers.

Not if you consider that you absolutely NEED things to stick in order to draw in the first place.

It changes nothing. It’s just the change in the word from “layer” to “tag.” Nothing else. Nothing at all about SketchUp has changed or has been overdesigned.

Hey Lee.

I don’t know exactly what you do but I use SU / LO to model in 3D, produce construction documents and export DWG for architects and engineers. I don’t often import DWG other than OS map data or surveys by others.

I find nothing complicated, backward, difficult, counter-intuitive or anything else negative in respect of workflow using SU / LO.

Well whatever I have been doing I have been doing since day 1 and I am able to get my work done the way I need it with no problems. Now I need to reevaluate that fundamental method which is annoying.

You don’t need to change anything - ‘Layers’ are simply renamed ‘Tags’.
Carry on as you have been…

BUT you do seem to have some fundamental issues with how SketchUp is used [by most other people].
Having raw-geometry stick together can be very useful - e.g. move or pushpull a face and adjoining edges and faces stretch with it etc.
But there comes a point when you don’t want adjacent geometry linked to other things - that’s when groups/components are used to ‘separate geometry’.
Layers/Tags never have, and never will, done that separation - they are used to control the visibility of their associated ‘containers’.
Raw geometry should be assigned ‘no layer’ [Untagged/Layer0] and other tag/layer assignments reserved to ‘containers’…

1 Like

Kindly elaborate / explain this statement, since the functioning is the same. And, from what I was able to ascertain, the internal coding itself still remained the same, it’s just the label on the interface that changed.

Because there were already proper layers in Layout…

and introducing the ability to control SketchUp layers in Layout without any name change would have caused much confusion…?

So it could have been done / implemented in LO before, but wasn’t?

No. This is a newly developed feature and one of the reasons for the name change in SU to tags. Basically you can now set up or easily augment scenes directly in LO, since you can control visibility of layers in the LO viewport without creating a separate scene.

Example: you want a floor plan scene to dimension and you want a floor plan scene to show furniture layout. In SU you only need to make one scene. In LO you make 2 viewports and toggle your furniture layers on/off in one.

1 Like

If you haven’t been grouping or making components, and all your geometry is tied together…then you need to change what your doing.

For the part about benefits in LayoUt, previously to show a number of views of your model, with different camera angles and sets of objects showing, you would make a different scene. Now in LayOut you can change the Tags settings, and standard camera views, and create the many views you need without having to make scenes in the SketchUp model.

Unless you are using the section tool with sections cut in multiple locations. Then those scenes need to be set up in SU. For some drawing types I still find it faster overall to create the scenes in SU since I use custom templates that already have all the scenes necessary to generate the desired view. I also have templates for LO, but due to the section tool limitations, those templates are not set for viewports with pre-selected tags.

For my details however, I can set a couple camera angles, save the scenes in SU, then create multiple details from using a single scene (using the tag control in LO)

It is a very powerful new feature for sure.

Of course I make groups and components that is not what I ment. I was talking about the use of layers.

Great thanks, I do not use layout. Never have probably never will. I export to CAD or something else for final prints. The inefficiency of SU encourages me to only use it to make the model not final products. I should also say I have never seen a SU file that could produce quality construction documents. I would never ever consider using SU for a dimensioned document. I would love to see an example of how to create quality detailed linework (like a wall section) from the 3d forms.

As stated above, you don’t need to change anything. They changed the name to Tags since you can now control their visibility inside LO. It would be confusing if there were two types of layers in LO, along with the perception of layers to other programs.

So, even if you don’t use the new LO feature you can use your old workflow with no changes other than understanding “Layers” are now “Tags” in SU.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I used ACAD for 24 years. SU and LO allows me to produce better, more detailed documents in 1/3 the time.

2 Likes

I believe Lee is right about the documentation or lack of it, and the Tags change is a case in point. You’d have to know just where to look… one release note under “Misc.” So what happens when someone switches from 2019 to 2000.2? The release notes wouldn’t help.

Also I’ve been watching these forums and this is the first I’ve seen about the LayOut relationship to the Tags name change.

Regarding the “stickiness” of entities, I don’t know how else it could be. If you have an edge contributing to a shape with faces, and you move that edge, should then the faces disappear? Edges make faces and that seems to be the basis of how SketchUp works.

2 Likes